Migrating from Borland newbie questions 
Author Message
 Migrating from Borland newbie questions

I just moved to VC from Borland and have several basic questions.  I'm
sure the answers are simple, but I haven't found them in the docs.

- Every time I compile/make/execute a project, VC tries to be very
helpful, and lets me know that certain files need to be remade.  Can
this dialog box be eliminated, so that the make process starts right
away?

- Is there anyway to mark a right margin in the source edit windows.  I
like to have one, so I know how to best format my code for printing
without line wrapping.

- In the output window's build tab, whenever errors are reported it
gives me the full path of the file.  I already know what this path is
(after all I put it there!) and I find that it takes so much space, I'm
always forced to use the horizontal scroll bar to fully read the actual
error message.  Is there any way to avoid this problem?

Thanks for your time,
Carlos



Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Migrating from Borland newbie questions


Quote:

>- Every time I compile/make/execute a project, VC tries to be very
>helpful, and lets me know that certain files need to be remade.  Can
>this dialog box be eliminated, so that the make process starts right
>away?

Not as far as I know.

Quote:
>- Is there anyway to mark a right margin in the source edit windows.  I
>like to have one, so I know how to best format my code for printing
>without line wrapping.

No. The column number does show up in the status bar. If you prefer
a right-margin mark, you could resize the code window to be the
appropriate width or use a third-party editor like Multi-Edit for
Windows or Codewright that has that feature.

Quote:
>- In the output window's build tab, whenever errors are reported it
>gives me the full path of the file.  I already know what this path is
>(after all I put it there!) and I find that it takes so much space, I'm
>always forced to use the horizontal scroll bar to fully read the actual
>error message.  Is there any way to avoid this problem?

Nope. The full error message does show up in the status bar, so sometimes
you can see it from there without scrolling. Don't forget to use the F4
key to step from error to error, either.

  Katy
  MVP/VC++

--

Software Development Engineer
ORMEC Systems                          http://www.ormec.com



Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 Migrating from Borland newbie questions

hi Carlos.

no, no and no.

WM_SORRY
thomas woelfer
http://www.woelfer.com



Sun, 02 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. New user questions, migrating from Borland C++ Builder.

2. migrating from Borland C++ to MS VC++ help needed

3. Borland C/C++ 5.5 newbie question

4. Newbie Question: Borland Compilation (separate files)

5. Newbie question: Converting Borland C++ projects to Visual C++ 6.0

6. Newbie question: linker error with Borland Turbo C++

7. Newbie question: Converting Borland C++ Builder 5.0 projects to Visual C++ 6.0

8. Migrating from java to csharp - question...

9. newbie Q: range of unsigned int Borland C 3.1

10. **Borland C DOS compiler command syntax help for newbie

11. newbie needs Borland DOS file help...

12. **Borland C DOS compiler command syntax help for newbie

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software