LINK.EXE no longer produces .idata
Author Message
 LINK.EXE no longer produces .idata

On applying SP2 to VC, it has installed a new version of LINK.EXE
which produces executables without an .idata section.

I have an application which uses the information in .idata, so I have
gone back to the original LINK.EXE, but is there any way to get
the new one to generate executables in the original format?
Can anyone tell me what is the reason for and implications of
this change?

Fri, 17 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 LINK.EXE no longer produces .idata

Quote:
>On applying SP2 to VC, it has installed a new version of LINK.EXE
>which produces executables without an .idata section.

>I have an application which uses the information in .idata, so I have
>gone back to the original LINK.EXE, but is there any way to get
>the new one to generate executables in the original format?
>Can anyone tell me what is the reason for and implications of
>this change?

Al,

Have you tried /LINK50COMPAT?

You might like to try posting this question in the
win32.programmer.kernel group. I believe the linker may have not been
doing the right thing previously, so your real solution may be to
change your existing code to use a different technique when processing
the PE file.

Dave
there's no need for follow up email copies.
http://www.bj.co.uk

Fri, 17 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. redistributing cl.exe, link.exe, nmake.exe, etc.

2. cl.exe, link.exe, mscvrt.exe Madness...

3. RTM: DirectorySearcher no longer produces results in web apps

4. Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0

5. Long ( too long) link time in Visual Studio

6. Long ( too long) link time in Visual Studio

7. Long (too long) link time in VC++6.0

8. char size (was long long long long long int)

9. Does C# produce .exe files?

10. Browser accessible C compiler (produces downloadable MSDOS EXE files)

11. Incremental Build producing bad exe.

12. cl.exe / link.exe taking all the processor time