VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
Author Message
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute

Hello
When building an executable with VC++ 6.0 I select either the
'Build' or 'Execute' buttons as required. If all files in the project
are up to date, Execute just executes without rebuilding.
All worked fine untill I got a new fast PC. Now, even if I
have just finished a build, clicking Execute results in the
message 'One or more files are out of date...Do you want
to rebuild?' (Everything is ok if yes is selected)
Does anyone have a similar problem, or better yet, a solution? :)

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 02:59:42 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
This usually means you have a file with a future date on it somewhere.

Quote:
> Hello
> When building an executable with VC++ 6.0 I select either the
> 'Build' or 'Execute' buttons as required. If all files in the project
> are up to date, Execute just executes without rebuilding.
> All worked fine untill I got a new fast PC. Now, even if I
> have just finished a build, clicking Execute results in the
> message 'One or more files are out of date...Do you want
> to rebuild?' (Everything is ok if yes is selected)
> Does anyone have a similar problem, or better yet, a solution? :)

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:07:24 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute

Quote:

> This usually means you have a file with a future date on it somewhere.

So... get a touch utility (GNU has one, and also old borland TC, I recall).
Do Clean intermediate files, touch everything and then rebuild.

Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:53:50 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
Well, the problem goes deeper than touching the files...
for example, here are some actual file times after a build...
(From right click, properties)

Test.cpp    Modified 9.01.36
Test.obj     Modified 9.01.34

ie, the obj file was updated before the src, so when I execute,
VC asks to rebuild.

This only happens on my new PC, a 1.4 P4 with ATA 100
disks.

Quote:
> > This usually means you have a file with a future date on it somewhere.

> So... get a touch utility (GNU has one, and also old borland TC, I
recall).
> Do Clean intermediate files, touch everything and then rebuild.

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:29:00 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
Are your source files stored on a network?  If so, that could account for
the difference.  Also, make sure your time zone is set correctly.

Quote:
> Well, the problem goes deeper than touching the files...
> for example, here are some actual file times after a build...
> (From right click, properties)

> Test.cpp    Modified 9.01.36
> Test.obj     Modified 9.01.34

> ie, the obj file was updated before the src, so when I execute,
> VC asks to rebuild.

> This only happens on my new PC, a 1.4 P4 with ATA 100
> disks.

> > > This usually means you have a file with a future date on it somewhere.

> > So... get a touch utility (GNU has one, and also old borland TC, I
> recall).
> > Do Clean intermediate files, touch everything and then rebuild.

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 13:18:48 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
All files are on the same partition of the same local disk and
the time zone is ok, EST. Also, the problem occurs with
every project.

Its really a minor annoyance I can live with...I suspect that
its related to fast PC's and caching and the way VC or
Windows/SE saves its files.

Quote:
> Are your source files stored on a network?  If so, that could >account for
> the difference.  Also, make sure your time zone is set correctly.

> > Well, the problem goes deeper than touching the files...
> > for example, here are some actual file times after a build...
> > (From right click, properties)

> > Test.cpp    Modified 9.01.36
> > Test.obj     Modified 9.01.34

> > ie, the obj file was updated before the src, so when I execute,
> > VC asks to rebuild.

> > This only happens on my new PC, a 1.4 P4 with ATA 100
> > disks.

somewhere.

> > > So... get a touch utility (GNU has one, and also old borland TC, I
> > recall).
> > > Do Clean intermediate files, touch everything and then rebuild.

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 20:47:10 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
i dunno, i have a gzh machine w/ ata 100 disks and my compiles are fine.

i would double check and make sure a file isn't stamped a day ahead.  but
you've already done that.

something strange is happening at the circle k

marc

Quote:
> All files are on the same partition of the same local disk and
> the time zone is ok, EST. Also, the problem occurs with
> every project.

> Its really a minor annoyance I can live with...I suspect that
> its related to fast PC's and caching and the way VC or
> Windows/SE saves its files.

> > Are your source files stored on a network?  If so, that could >account
for
> > the difference.  Also, make sure your time zone is set correctly.

> > > Well, the problem goes deeper than touching the files...
> > > for example, here are some actual file times after a build...
> > > (From right click, properties)

> > > Test.cpp    Modified 9.01.36
> > > Test.obj     Modified 9.01.34

> > > ie, the obj file was updated before the src, so when I execute,
> > > VC asks to rebuild.

> > > This only happens on my new PC, a 1.4 P4 with ATA 100
> > > disks.

> somewhere.

> > > recall).

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:02:46 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
It sounds like the IDE is saving files that are open in the IDE whether
there are changes or not, which is what's causing it to create a newer
timestamp.  There might be a setting for this.

Quote:
> All files are on the same partition of the same local disk and
> the time zone is ok, EST. Also, the problem occurs with
> every project.

> Its really a minor annoyance I can live with...I suspect that
> its related to fast PC's and caching and the way VC or
> Windows/SE saves its files.

> > Are your source files stored on a network?  If so, that could >account
for
> > the difference.  Also, make sure your time zone is set correctly.

> > > Well, the problem goes deeper than touching the files...
> > > for example, here are some actual file times after a build...
> > > (From right click, properties)

> > > Test.cpp    Modified 9.01.36
> > > Test.obj     Modified 9.01.34

> > > ie, the obj file was updated before the src, so when I execute,
> > > VC asks to rebuild.

> > > This only happens on my new PC, a 1.4 P4 with ATA 100
> > > disks.

> somewhere.

> > > recall).

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 03:36:45 GMT
 VC++ 6 Build vs Execute
Actually this is a bug/feature in the Win9x filesystem.

There is a 2 second resolution on files in the filesystem,
and depending on the way the application accesses the file
for write, the timestamp can be rounded up or down to the
nearest 2 seconds. The easiest fix is to upgrade to Win NT
or Win2K which has milisecond resolution on the filesystem.

Quote:

Wed, 17 Dec 2003 12:51:59 GMT

1. f5 vs cntl+f5 (debug vs execute)

2. Building for MSDOS environment using VS 6.0 VC++

3. Debug Build vs. Release Build

4. Building for Win96/98 vs. building for WinNT

5. iostream vs iostream.h -- VC++5 vs VC++6 problem

6. Executing .bat file from VC 1.52 AND VC 4.2

7. one click build & execute

8. VC++ Command line builds on Windows 2000 (build 2195)

9. release build won't execute

10. Replacing Borland built dll with vc built dll

11. Automatically increment build number when building from VC++6

12. Catch block fails to execute in release build