DevStudio'97 Profiler and dynamically loaded DLL's
Author Message
 DevStudio'97 Profiler and dynamically loaded DLL's

I am using Developer Studio 97 with MSVC++ 50 & DVF 5.0

I have been trying to use the built-in profiler for an application that
uses dynamically loaded DLL's. It seems to be impossible.

When testing a small example which uses a statically loaded DLL (i.e.
linking with the import library), there is no problem. When I try the same
small example using dynamic loading of the DLL, I am unable to profile the
functions in the DLL.

When I say dynamic loading of the DLL, I mean:

typedef float (*PFrsum)(const int& ,float* );
HINSTANCE cppdll = LoadLibrary("small_example.dll");
PFrsum rsum = (PFrsum)GetProcAddress(cppdll,"rsum");
// use rsum

Is there any way I can profile the function rsum and anything it calls when
the function is accessed in this way ? The small_example.dll has been
linked with profiling enabled, and as mentioned earlier, I have no problem
profiling it when the import library is used.

The problem is that I want to profile a really large system, which uses
dynamic loading of dll's as described above, and to switch to using import
libraries is no easy task.

Can anyone confirm that this is in fact a problem, and if not, tell me what
I should do to profile a DLL loaded in this way ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Carsten Arnholm

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~arnholm/

Wed, 09 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ANNOUNCE: MemCheck 5.0 and DevStudio '97 Integrated

2. ANNOUNCE: MemCheck 5.0 and DevStudio '97 Integrated

3. ANNOUNCE: MemCheck 5.0 and DevStudio '97 Integrated

4. MFC and dynamically loaded DLL's

5. regsvr32 crash when registering OCX - Loading dlls dynamically from OCX's

6. Dynamically loaded DLL's

7. Problem using the Profiler and program DLL's

8. DLL dialog doesn't load anymore once changed to statically link DLL

9. Delay Load DLL doesn't work for C++ DLL

10. Cleanup of explicit loaded DLL's in regular MFC DLL

11. WCRE '97 - Final Call For Papers

12. WCRE '97 - Call For Papers