Linker error LNK1179 -- what's a COMDAT?
Author Message
 Linker error LNK1179 -- what's a COMDAT?

I'm getting a linker error I've never seen before:

MyFile.obj : fatal error LNK1179: invalid or corrupt file: duplicate comdat
"_IID_IEnumIGeomElement"

Can someone tell me what a comdat is, and/or some tips how to track down the
problem?

TIA.

Nate

---
Nathaniel Hekman
GEO-SLOPE International, Ltd.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Linker error LNK1179 -- what's a COMDAT?

Quote:

>I'm getting a linker error I've never seen before:

>MyFile.obj : fatal error LNK1179: invalid or corrupt file: duplicate comdat
>"_IID_IEnumIGeomElement"

>Can someone tell me what a comdat is, and/or some tips how to track down
the
>problem?

The VC++ online help defines COMDATs as follows:
---
COMDAT record
A Common Object File Format (COFF) record that contains initialized common
block data and makes packaged functions visible to the linker. See also
packaged function.

packaged function
A function created by the compiler when function-level linking is enabled. A
packaged function is visible to the linker in the form of a COMDAT record
placed in the object (.OBJ) file by the compiler. Functions that are not
packaged can be linked only at the object level.

The online help suggests one remedy when a LNK1179 is seen:
---
An object module contained two or more COMDATs with the same name.

One possible cause is if you use the /H option with /Gy. The /H option
limits the length of external names, and the /Gy option packages functions
in COMDATs.

// -----------------------------------------------------------------------
// andrew todd brown

// -----------------------------------------------------------------------

Tue, 20 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Linker error LNK1179 -- what's a COMDAT?

2. Linker error LNK1179 -- what's a COMDAT?

3. LNK1179 : duplicate COMDAT

4. LNK1179 invalid or corrupt comdat HELP !!!

5. Linker error L2029: '_asciiopen' : unresolved external

6. Linker error L2029: '_asciiopen' : unresolved external

7. Linker gives 'internal error'

8. ERROR: duplicate comdat HELP!!!

9. fatal error LNK1179: invalid or corrupt file

10. LNK1179 error

11. LNK1179 error

12. LNK1179 error problem