What causes "Error spawning cl.exe"
Author Message
 What causes "Error spawning cl.exe"

I have a batch job that I schedule using the "at" command. Its purpose is to
compile various VC++ projects. The msdev commands issued in the batch file
use the /useenv option to indicate environments should be used to determine
the include path and so on to use. However, when the batch file runs at its
scheduled time, some of the projects do not compile properly. The error
generated is "Error spawning cl.exe". Does any one know what causes this
error? It does not happen if I remove the /useenv option and allow msdev to
use its default settings. It also doesn't happen if I run the batch file
interactively (with the /useenv in place). This behavior only occurs if I
schedule the job to run through the at service.

Here's a stripped down version of the results.

E:\>set path=C:\buildsystem\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT

E:\>set lib=C:\Program Files\Platform SDK\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Visual Studio\VC98\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\MFC\LIB

E:\>msdev E:\rootdir\projects\AcPsm\acpsm.dsp /make "acpsm - win32 debug"
/norecurse /useenv /rebuild
Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'AcPsm - Win32
Debug'.
--------------------Configuration: AcPsm - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
Error spawning cl.exe

AcPsm.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Peter Steele, ONI

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 04:22:10 GMT
 What causes "Error spawning cl.exe"
Solved. I didn't include everything I should have for the path variable and
msdev didn't know where to find cl.exe.

Peter

Quote:
> I have a batch job that I schedule using the "at" command. Its purpose is
> compile various VC++ projects. The msdev commands issued in the batch file
> use the /useenv option to indicate environments should be used to
determine
> the include path and so on to use. However, when the batch file runs at
its
> scheduled time, some of the projects do not compile properly. The error
> generated is "Error spawning cl.exe". Does any one know what causes this
> error? It does not happen if I remove the /useenv option and allow msdev
> use its default settings. It also doesn't happen if I run the batch file
> interactively (with the /useenv in place). This behavior only occurs if I
> schedule the job to run through the at service.

> Here's a stripped down version of the results.

> E:\>set path=C:\buildsystem\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
> Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT

> E:\>set lib=C:\Program Files\Platform SDK\lib;C:\Program Files\Microsoft
> Visual Studio\VC98\LIB;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual
Studio\VC98\MFC\LIB

> E:\>msdev E:\rootdir\projects\AcPsm\acpsm.dsp /make "acpsm - win32 debug"
> /norecurse /useenv /rebuild
> Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'AcPsm - Win32
> Debug'.
> --------------------Configuration: AcPsm - Win32 Debug--------------------
> Compiling...
> Error spawning cl.exe

> AcPsm.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

> Peter Steele, ONI

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 05:50:44 GMT

1. "error spawning cl.exe"

2. "Error spawning cl.exe"

3. "Error spawning cl.exe"

4. error "spawning cl.exe"

5. Cannot compile--"error spanning cl.exe"

6. Compile error: Error Spawning Cl.exe or link.exe

7. error PRJ0003: Error spawning 'cl.exe'.

8. "Cannot spawn rc.exe"

9. error spawning cl.exe when profile

10. error spawning cl.exe in v6

11. Error: spawning cl.exe