VC++ 6.0 ... Did I goof??
Author Message
 VC++ 6.0 ... Did I goof??

Since I was recently a student at a university, I decided to take
advantage of the student discounts on software and purchased
the Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition for the academic price.

I've been browsing here a bit and wondering if I goofed?  I would
have gotten 5.0 but the school didn't offer it.  They only offered
4.0.

I'm now reading about all sorts of compatibility problems, install
problems, etc.

In addition, reading the system requirements (which, BTW, are not
listed ANYWHERE on the MS VC++ website), It  seems
that I have to have MS IE4.01 service pack 1 and that it
may install MSDN, IE, there's an option for WinNT 4.0 and
a few other items.

My question:  Should I return this and get 5.0 standard edition
or something else?  I don't really need (or want) IE 4.0.  I don't
really want to install MSDN right now and, even though the box
says it comes with WinNT, I don't need that either (and I question
whether or not it's the full installation anyway).

Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick

this group often (although I may start if I do install it! :)

Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC++ 6.0 ... Did I goof??
You will need IE for either VC5 or VC6.  VC6 requies IE4 (or 5), VC5
requires IE3 (but works with 4 or 5).

Yes, the NT that comes with VC is a full version as far as functionality
goes, but it's limited to 10 incoming network connections from peers.

In any case, VC6 provides so many new features that will increase your
productivity (Intellisense, edit and continue debugging, etc..) that you'll
want to keep it.  The only real compatibility problems i've heard about so
far are related to debug builds that were built with oder versions of VC.
Since you don't already have VC, and it's illegal to distribute debug
versions of applications (well, just illegal to distribute the debug MFC
dll's) you shouldn't have a problem with this.

Quote:

>Since I was recently a student at a university, I decided to take
>advantage of the student discounts on software and purchased
>the Visual C++ 6.0 Professional edition for the academic price.

>I've been browsing here a bit and wondering if I goofed?  I would
>have gotten 5.0 but the school didn't offer it.  They only offered
>4.0.

>I'm now reading about all sorts of compatibility problems, install
>problems, etc.

>In addition, reading the system requirements (which, BTW, are not
>listed ANYWHERE on the MS VC++ website), It  seems
>that I have to have MS IE4.01 service pack 1 and that it
>may install MSDN, IE, there's an option for WinNT 4.0 and
>a few other items.

>My question:  Should I return this and get 5.0 standard edition
>or something else?  I don't really need (or want) IE 4.0.  I don't
>really want to install MSDN right now and, even though the box
>says it comes with WinNT, I don't need that either (and I question
>whether or not it's the full installation anyway).

>Any comments or help would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Rick

>this group often (although I may start if I do install it! :)

Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. backward compatibility vc++ .net vc++ 6.0

2. vc++ 5.0 to vc++ 6.0 problem

3. vc++ 5.0 programs and vc++ 6.0

4. upgrade of dll from vc++ 6.0 to vc++.net

5. Porting from vc++ 1.52 to VC++ 6.0

6. VJ++ 6.0 and VC++ 6.0.

7. VC++ 6.0 and VJ++ 6.0???

8. VC++ 6.0 and VJ++ 6.0???

9. VC++ 6.0 , MFC 6.0?

10. lint goofs structure type compatibility

11. Problem to convert from VC 6.0 to VC 7.1 because of using filebuf::setmode()

12. Problem converting VC++ 6.0 project to VC++.net