Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor
Author Message
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor

In VC 6.0, controls on a dialog in the resource editor could be repositioned
via the arrow keys.  This doesn't seem to work in VS.NET; is this capability
supported in some other way (other than drag/drop, which doesn't allow very
fine control)?  Also, what happened to the ability to copy/paste and
drag/drop bitmap/icon/toolbar/etc. resources between resource files?

Kyle Alons
Kinook Software, Inc.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:35:35 GMT
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor

Quote:
>In VC 6.0, controls on a dialog in the resource editor could be repositioned
>via the arrow keys.  This doesn't seem to work in VS.NET; is this capability
>supported in some other way (other than drag/drop, which doesn't allow very
>fine control)?  Also, what happened to the ability to copy/paste and
>drag/drop bitmap/icon/toolbar/etc. resources between resource files?

All of this works fine for me in VS.NET 2002 and 2003.

--
Be seeing you.

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:12:02 GMT
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor
Hmmm, it's not working for me in VS.NET 2002.  If I select a control in the
resource edtior, pressing the arrow keys does nothing.  It shows a valid
drop cursor when dragging/dropping resources from one instance of VS.NET to
another, but nothing happens when I release the mouse button (same thing
when I copy/paste).  Is anybody else seeing this?  I'm running on XP Pro
(SP0), .NET Framework 1.0 (SP0).  Thanks.

Quote:

> >In VC 6.0, controls on a dialog in the resource editor could be
repositioned
> >via the arrow keys.  This doesn't seem to work in VS.NET; is this
capability
> >supported in some other way (other than drag/drop, which doesn't allow
very
> >fine control)?  Also, what happened to the ability to copy/paste and
> >drag/drop bitmap/icon/toolbar/etc. resources between resource files?

> All of this works fine for me in VS.NET 2002 and 2003.

> --
> Be seeing you.

Sat, 05 Nov 2005 23:43:07 GMT
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor
Ok, I figured out the arrow key problem.  I'm using the Visual Studio 6
keyboard mapping, and it didn't have these commands mapped to any keystrokes
(I didn't realize that commands were defined for these).  The resource
problems persist, I guess I'll have to use the VC6 resource editor for that.

Quote:
> Hmmm, it's not working for me in VS.NET 2002.  If I select a control in
the
> resource edtior, pressing the arrow keys does nothing.  It shows a valid
> drop cursor when dragging/dropping resources from one instance of VS.NET
> another, but nothing happens when I release the mouse button (same thing
> when I copy/paste).  Is anybody else seeing this?  I'm running on XP Pro
> (SP0), .NET Framework 1.0 (SP0).  Thanks.

> > >In VC 6.0, controls on a dialog in the resource editor could be
> repositioned
> > >via the arrow keys.  This doesn't seem to work in VS.NET; is this
> capability
> > >supported in some other way (other than drag/drop, which doesn't allow
> very
> > >fine control)?  Also, what happened to the ability to copy/paste and
> > >drag/drop bitmap/icon/toolbar/etc. resources between resource files?

> > All of this works fine for me in VS.NET 2002 and 2003.

> > --
> > Be seeing you.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 00:00:49 GMT
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor

Quote:
>Hmmm, it's not working for me in VS.NET 2002.  If I select a control in the
>resource edtior, pressing the arrow keys does nothing.  It shows a valid
>drop cursor when dragging/dropping resources from one instance of VS.NET to
>another, but nothing happens when I release the mouse button (same thing
>when I copy/paste).  Is anybody else seeing this?  I'm running on XP Pro
>(SP0), .NET Framework 1.0 (SP0).  Thanks.

I couldn't copy resources from one VS.NET instance to another, so what I
had to do was open both resource files in one VS and do the copy there.

--
Be seeing you.

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 07:05:52 GMT
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor
Ah, the trick seems to be that you can either

1) open multiple .rc files directly and copy/paste/drag/drop between the
files
2) open a multi-project solution and copy/paste/drag/drop between the
projects

But you can't open an individual .rc file and copy/paste/drop/drag between
it and the resouce view of an open project/solution.  Seems like a step
backwards from VC6.

Kyle

Quote:

> >Hmmm, it's not working for me in VS.NET 2002.  If I select a control in
the
> >resource edtior, pressing the arrow keys does nothing.  It shows a valid
> >drop cursor when dragging/dropping resources from one instance of VS.NET
> >another, but nothing happens when I release the mouse button (same thing
> >when I copy/paste).  Is anybody else seeing this?  I'm running on XP Pro
> >(SP0), .NET Framework 1.0 (SP0).  Thanks.

> I couldn't copy resources from one VS.NET instance to another, so what I
> had to do was open both resource files in one VS and do the copy there.

> --
> Be seeing you.

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 04:02:14 GMT
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor

Quote:
>Ah, the trick seems to be that you can either

>1) open multiple .rc files directly and copy/paste/drag/drop between the
>files
>2) open a multi-project solution and copy/paste/drag/drop between the
>projects

>But you can't open an individual .rc file and copy/paste/drop/drag between
>it and the resouce view of an open project/solution.  Seems like a step
>backwards from VC6.

Yeah, it's frustrating at times. I've learned to minimize my dependancy
on the IDE, for several reasons. Now I just consider the IDE the glue
that keeps my projects together. I use it for project management,
debugging, and drawing dialog resources. That's it, I don't even use it
for editing, nor do I use the wizards. Saves me a lot of headaches. :)

--
Be seeing you.

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 08:52:33 GMT
 Repositioning controls in VS.NET resource editor
Hi!

How about opening a DLL that contains the required resource and dragging
from that?

/Anders

Quote:
> Ah, the trick seems to be that you can either

> 1) open multiple .rc files directly and copy/paste/drag/drop between the
> files
> 2) open a multi-project solution and copy/paste/drag/drop between the
> projects

> But you can't open an individual .rc file and copy/paste/drop/drag between
> it and the resouce view of an open project/solution.  Seems like a step
> backwards from VC6.

> Kyle

> > >Hmmm, it's not working for me in VS.NET 2002.  If I select a control in
> the
> > >resource edtior, pressing the arrow keys does nothing.  It shows a
valid
> > >drop cursor when dragging/dropping resources from one instance of
VS.NET
> > >another, but nothing happens when I release the mouse button (same
thing
> > >when I copy/paste).  Is anybody else seeing this?  I'm running on XP
Pro
> > >(SP0), .NET Framework 1.0 (SP0).  Thanks.

> > I couldn't copy resources from one VS.NET instance to another, so what I
> > had to do was open both resource files in one VS and do the copy there.

> > --
> > Be seeing you.

Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:35:24 GMT

1. Writing cyrilic in VS .NET resource editor

2. Cool Resources Editor/Viewer for .NET + sourcecode (.resources/.resX)

3. VS.NET Enterprise Vs VS.NET Professional

4. Tab stop discrepancies: .rc text vs resource editor

5. VC5 resource editor Vs. GIF

6. VS.net Form Editor Error

7. Reindenting in the VS.Net editor

8. VS.NET 2003 VC++ and .NET controls

9. ATL Composite Control does not work in VStudio Resource Editor

10. Tab Controls with the resource editor

11. Displaying custom controls in resource editor

12. How to acces underlying controls in Resource Editor?