VisC++5.0 build hangs
Author Message
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

Hi all,

Newbie question on Visual Studio 97 and VisC++ 5.0 ...

When trying to build ANYTHING (eg: few lines WIN32 console app),
and choosing the build option from the build menu, the IDE just hangs.

The WIN95 task list shows a process "vcspawn" running, and when I look
at the .PLG text file, it always seems to have something of the form:

as the last line (it's at this point I have to manually kill the
processes).

The windows temp dir is fine, and the disk is defragged. Anyone else
have similar problems, or can shed some light please ?

Thanks

Sarah

Sat, 01 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:21:09 +0000, Sarah Hayes

Quote:

>Hi all,

>Newbie question on Visual Studio 97 and VisC++ 5.0 ...

>When trying to build ANYTHING (eg: few lines WIN32 console app),
>and choosing the build option from the build menu, the IDE just hangs.

>The WIN95 task list shows a process "vcspawn" running, and when I look
>at the .PLG text file, it always seems to have something of the form:

>as the last line (it's at this point I have to manually kill the
>processes).

>The windows temp dir is fine, and the disk is defragged. Anyone else
>have similar problems, or can shed some light please ?

Chack your system.ini [keyboard] section for a following line:

oemansi.bin=<something>

If it exists - delete or comment it. BTW, do you have an SP3
installed ?

 Oleg Letsinsky, Ulter Systems, Inc., Programmer

Sun, 02 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

Try installing SP3.  Our compiler hung when it was trying to compile some
inline code, and SP3 fixes this problem.  Can you stop the build by pressing
the 'stop build' button or menu item?  That's how we got out of the hang.

Quote:

>Hi all,

>Newbie question on Visual Studio 97 and VisC++ 5.0 ...

>When trying to build ANYTHING (eg: few lines WIN32 console app),
>and choosing the build option from the build menu, the IDE just hangs.

>The WIN95 task list shows a process "vcspawn" running, and when I look
>at the .PLG text file, it always seems to have something of the form:

>as the last line (it's at this point I have to manually kill the
>processes).

>The windows temp dir is fine, and the disk is defragged. Anyone else
>have similar problems, or can shed some light please ?

>Thanks

>Sarah

Principal Software Engineer       Corporate Web Page:     http://www.xiotech.com

Eden Prairie, MN                  Personal Home Page:   http://www.visi.com/~nde

"Question authority...and the authorities will end up questioning YOU!"

Sun, 02 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

Quote:

> Try installing SP3.  Our compiler hung when it was trying to compile some
> inline code, and SP3 fixes this problem.

I'll try SP3 and see if that makes a difference (91.4Mb!!)

I also tried what Oleg said in a previous posting (oemansi.bin in
system.ini)
but unfortunately that made no difference.

Quote:
> Can you stop the build by pressing
> the 'stop build' button or menu item?  That's how we got out of the hang.

Nope - "stop build" makes no difference ... The only way I can kill it
is
with an "End Task" from the process list box.

Confused ? I am.

Sarah.

Sun, 02 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998 21:03:09 +0000, Sarah Hayes

Quote:

>> Try installing SP3.  Our compiler hung when it was trying to compile some
>> inline code, and SP3 fixes this problem.

>I'll try SP3 and see if that makes a difference (91.4Mb!!)

Wow ! You still don't have it ? How can you do anything without SP3 ?
The MSVC 5.0 OOTB compiler sometimes hangs even on rather simple C
files. You definitely need a service pack. Although even with SP3 its
optimizer seems to have some small bugs, the SP3 makes a big
difference.

 Oleg Letsinsky, Ulter Systems, Inc., Programmer

Mon, 03 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

Quote:

> The MSVC 5.0 OOTB compiler sometimes hangs even on rather simple C
> files. You definitely need a service pack. Although even with SP3 its
> optimizer seems to have some small bugs, the SP3 makes a big
> difference.

Even with SP3 installed, I'm still getting the{*filter*}
problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling VisC++ makes no difference
either (and reapplying the patch).

It's getting to the point where I'll have to reinstall Win95, which
I really didn't want to do (sigh).

Thanks for the help, any other ideas appreciated.

Sarah.

Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

The way we fixed this problem in ours was to check "link incrementally" and
it suddenly stopped{*filter*}.  Don't know if this will help you, but free
advice is only worth what you pay for.

-Kevin-

Quote:

> > The MSVC 5.0 OOTB compiler sometimes hangs even on rather simple C
> > files. You definitely need a service pack. Although even with SP3 its
> > optimizer seems to have some small bugs, the SP3 makes a big
> > difference.

> Even with SP3 installed, I'm still getting the{*filter*}
> problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling VisC++ makes no difference
> either (and reapplying the patch).

> It's getting to the point where I'll have to reinstall Win95, which
> I really didn't want to do (sigh).

> Thanks for the help, any other ideas appreciated.

> Sarah.

Thu, 06 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

There's a major bug, even with SP3 applied.  The temporary fix I found that works every time, is:

1) make sure you do a "save-all", to save all your changes BEFORE you do an incremental build
2) make sure you "Save project" if you make any changes to a project BEFORE you do an incremental build

The bug appears to be related to a timing problem between the IDE saving file(s) and the compiler trying to gain access to them.  There's a bug in the IDE logic that launches the compiler, and the compiler will get into a deadly embrace (on fast computers 233mhz+) with the file system.  I suspect it goes into a hard loop, trying to open its files and its priority is set, such that control doesn't return to the IDE so that it can do a complete file save.

>> The MSVC 5.0 OOTB compiler sometimes hangs even on rather simple C
>> files. You definitely need a service pack. Although even with SP3 its
>> optimizer seems to have some small bugs, the SP3 makes a big
>> difference.

>Even with SP3 installed, I'm still getting the{*filter*}
>problem. Uninstalling and reinstalling VisC++ makes no difference
>either (and reapplying the patch).

>It's getting to the point where I'll have to reinstall Win95, which
>I really didn't want to do (sigh).

>Thanks for the help, any other ideas appreciated.

>Sarah.

Fri, 07 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 VisC++5.0 build hangs

Quote:
> free advice is only worth what you pay for.

So I guess yours isn't worth anything then?

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newbie to ADO can't get MSDN examples to build with VisC++ 6

2. Building MS VisC/C++ Project for JVM

3. Commands in the custom build causes building to hang

4. VS.NET hangs when doubleclicking tasks during build

5. regsvr32 hangs during build

6. VC++ 3 minute hang when Build Project

7. Custom Build Rules Cause VC++ 6 to Hang

8. VC: Compiler hangs on release build (BUG?)

9. Visual C++ 6.0 hangs when building a second time

10. build hangs

11. Compilation and build gets hung in VC++ 6

12. VC6 IDE Hangs at start of post-build step