VStudio adds a little fat???
Author Message
 VStudio adds a little fat???

I had to dig up an old project, its a global keyboard hook dll.  under vc5.0
it compiled to 27k.  The same files, and workspace under VC6.0 compiles to
48kb.  why all the extra fat???
-Peter

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 05:59:15 GMT
 VStudio adds a little fat???

Quote:
> I had to dig up an old project, its a global keyboard hook dll.  under
vc5.0
> it compiled to 27k.  The same files, and workspace under VC6.0
compiles to
> 48kb.  why all the extra fat???

I'd make sure the project options were the same as before.

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 06:25:37 GMT
 VStudio adds a little fat???

Quote:
> I had to dig up an old project, its a global keyboard hook dll.  under
vc5.0
> it compiled to 27k.  The same files, and workspace under VC6.0 compiles to
> 48kb.  why all the extra fat???

That's because VC6's default option is to link with 4k aligned segments to
allow Windows 98's fast loader to load it into memory faster.  You can
disable this by using a linker option, though the program will load slower
under 98.

Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:19:40 GMT
 VStudio adds a little fat???
It's also because Service Pack 4 adds 12K to your executable.
It's mostly zeroes, but still takes up 12K of space on disk.

It only happens you if you statically link with the C run time. The
extra 12K is in the memory management system - a 12K array
for implementing a backwards compatible allocator. The really
annoying thing is that the allocator that this array supports will
never get used in VC++ 6.0 applications!

I think it's pretty shocking and annoying, but nobody else seems
to get to concerned about it.

On the upside, those zeroes will compress very well and won't
affect the download size of an installer version very much...

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.humongous.com/

Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:15:37 GMT

1. added lines are too fat when Stretching Bitmap in memory DC

2. Help! Adding references in VStudio

3. ? add-ins / macros in VStudio

4. Adding a Little Icon in the Right of the Task Bar

5. Little by little

6. little program, little problem

7. little logical problem with vector...need little help

8. Art and all that Jazz: are you weird, I mean, changing beneath fat grocers

9. Access to the FAT or bloc of cd-rom

10. What is FAT????

11. Accessing FAT tables directories.

12. FAT 16/32