"Cannot save file" error message
Author Message
 "Cannot save file" error message

I have VC++ 6.0, with service pack 5.

When I've been editing a text file, usually .cpp or .h,
and try to save it, I get a message saying

'filename'
Cannot save file. The file may be in use by another
application.

If I click OK then immediately save again, I don't get
the message and the file saves fine. This happens whether
I try to save by manually clicking Save, closing the
window and saying yes to save changes, pressing Build
with the file open, etc.

It never used to do this; I recently upgraded to Windows
XP Pro from Millennium Edition, but I can't remember if
the problem started exactly when I did that. I'd rather
not have to re-install the whole thing.

TIA

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 05:59:30 GMT
 "Cannot save file" error message
It's your virus checker. Lots of people have this problem. It's
very annoying.

Many virus checkers seem incapable of being configured so
that they don't scan .cpp and .h files. That's ridiculous.
Complain to your IS department and your virus checker vendor.

Quote:

> I have VC++ 6.0, with service pack 5.

> When I've been editing a text file, usually .cpp or .h,
> and try to save it, I get a message saying

> 'filename'
> Cannot save file. The file may be in use by another
> application.

> If I click OK then immediately save again, I don't get
> the message and the file saves fine. This happens whether
> I try to save by manually clicking Save, closing the
> window and saying yes to save changes, pressing Build
> with the file open, etc.

> It never used to do this; I recently upgraded to Windows
> XP Pro from Millennium Edition, but I can't remember if
> the problem started exactly when I did that. I'd rather
> not have to re-install the whole thing.

> TIA

Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:26:46 GMT
 "Cannot save file" error message

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 "Cannot save file" error message
Thanks for the help.

Quote:

Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:51:34 GMT

1. "Cannot save file" error message

2. Error "Cannot Load ActiveX component"

3. ERROR: memory cannot be "read"

4. Cannot compile--"error spanning cl.exe"

5. Why "cannot open file nafxcwd.lib"?

6. newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

7. cannot open file "mfc42ud.lib"??

8. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

9. "Cannot open include file"

10. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

11. LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42u.lib"

12. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"