VC6 much slower than VC4?????? 
Author Message
 VC6 much slower than VC4??????

I just moved a project into VC 6.  I still have the VC 4 project since I
need it to use with the Mac Cross libs.

If I do a Win32 Release or Debug Build All I find that VC 6 takes about
twice as long.  Other than the missing Mac targets in 6, the projects are
the same.

Is this what is to be expected????

Single file turn around seems similar.

Roger Sipson



Thu, 01 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC6 much slower than VC4??????
As far as I know VC5 and 6 do use some more memory than version 4. That
might be the problem.

--
Tomas Restrepo

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/3401



Quote:
>I just moved a project into VC 6.  I still have the VC 4 project since I
>need it to use with the Mac Cross libs.

>If I do a Win32 Release or Debug Build All I find that VC 6 takes about
>twice as long.  Other than the missing Mac targets in 6, the projects are
>the same.

>Is this what is to be expected????

>Single file turn around seems similar.

>Roger Sipson



Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC6 much slower than VC4??????
I have 132 Meg of RAM.  I would hope that would be enough.


Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC6 much slower than VC4??????

Quote:
>I have 132 Meg of RAM.  I would hope that would be enough.

It ought to be <g>.

Are you using pre-compiled headers with your project? That can make a
tremendous improvement if you're not using them.

Dave
----
Address is altered to discourage junk mail.
Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
there's no need for follow up email copies.
http://www.bj.co.uk



Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC6 much slower than VC4??????
Dave,

I'm using precompiled headers.  All the settings that I can find are the
same but the project takes TWICE as long to build in 6 as it does in 4.
Really wierd when the docs brag about "increased compiler throughput"

I really like the IDE improvements, especially the method popups in the
editor but the build times are a problem, especially when you have to touch
a top level header file.

Roger



Sun, 04 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC6 much slower than VC4??????

Quote:
>I'm using precompiled headers.  All the settings that I can find are the
>same but the project takes TWICE as long to build in 6 as it does in 4.
>Really wierd when the docs brag about "increased compiler throughput"

Roger,

I must admit that I find those claims tend to stretch the truth a
little, but personally I don't find build times an issue - I need
considerably more time to think <g>.

Another point to consider is that the header files are much bigger
than they were for VC4, so that could make some difference, though
twice as long would be doubtful.

How long are we talking about, and is the link time significant?

Dave
----
Address is altered to discourage junk mail.
Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
there's no need for follow up email copies.
http://www.bj.co.uk



Mon, 05 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 VC6 much slower than VC4??????
How much memory do you have?

VC 5 really upped the practical memory requirements.  64MB is pretty much
the minimum if you don't want heavy swapping, 128MB is ideal.  Memory is
cheap, no developer should be without 128MB these days...

I know that it can take 20 minutes to compile our app on a 32 meg system,
and less than 3 on my system with 128 MB's. (granted my system is also a PII
400 compared to a P200)

But things to look out for:

Make sure you specify pre-compiled headers specifically, do *NOT* use
automatic use of precompiled headers.

Make sure you're using incrimental compile and link for debug versions.

If you have an older project, VC introduced new #defines that cause a lot of
unused junk in the windows and MFC headers to be conditionally compiled out.
Look for VC_EXTRA_LEAN and VC_LEAN_AND_MEAN (or something very similar).



Quote:
>Dave,

>I'm using precompiled headers.  All the settings that I can find are the
>same but the project takes TWICE as long to build in 6 as it does in 4.
>Really wierd when the docs brag about "increased compiler throughput"

>I really like the IDE improvements, especially the method popups in the
>editor but the build times are a problem, especially when you have to touch
>a top level header file.

>Roger



Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VC++ 6.0 SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW

2. Searching slower in VC50 than in VC4.X

3. Can't debug a vc6.0 DLL when launched from vc4.0 app

4. Can't debug a vc6.0 DLL when launched from vc4.0 app

5. Synching VC6 and VC4 Projects

6. HELP!!!? VC6 exe much bigger than VC4.1

7. howto convert VC6 project to VC4.2?

8. debug runtime upto 5x slower than VC6

9. debug runtime upto 5x slower than VC6

10. VC6 Class View Deadly Slow!

11. VC6 workspace browsing window very slow in responsing events

12. Slow ClassView in VC6.0

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software