Colon moves line to tab stop
Author Message
 Colon moves line to tab stop

I'm new to VC++ verson 5.0....but heres my dumb question...

When I type a colon on any line in the editor, the line moves to the left
by one tab stop.  This is terribly annoying, particularly when you have
"::" operators sprinkled all over the place.  It only does it on the first
colon, when I type a second colon the line doesn't move.

Anyone heard of this before and/or know what the deal is?

Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Colon moves line to tab stop

Quote:

> When I type a colon on any line in the editor, the line moves to the left
> by one tab stop.  This is terribly annoying, particularly when you have
> "::" operators sprinkled all over the place.  It only does it on the first
> colon, when I type a second colon the line doesn't move.

Like you I first found this feature annoying, but I now find it
quite useful.  For example, although the first case clause in a
switch statement needs manual correction after the colon has been
typed, subsequent clauses then move to the correct position (at least
for my indentation policy).

I find that when I type the second colon in a '::', the line moves
back to the original location.

I'd venture that the feature would only occur in smart tabulation
mode.

Mon, 25 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Colon moves line to tab stop

Quote:

> When I type a colon on any line in the editor, the line moves to the
> left by one tab stop.  This is terribly annoying, particularly when
> you have "::" operators sprinkled all over the place.  It only does
> it on the first colon, when I type a second colon the line doesn't
> move.

It's intended for case statements.  Unfortunately, the VC IDE's
indentation mechanism is not particularly customizable.  If you don't
like it, you can either turn it off (Tools.Options.Tabs.Smart Indent)
or use a different editor.

--

Mon, 25 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to move focus to next tab stop?

2. Multi-Line CEdit problem with Tab Stop!

3. Reading a colon delineated text line.

4. Moving the first tab in a tab control over a bit

5. Cannot press tab to move to a tab control after using WS_EX_CONTROLPARENT

6. :-) How To Stop The Tab Key From Moving To Next Control in Tab Order if Some Ciiteria is Not Met

7. Stop Move Event

8. Stop dialog moving

9. stopping a frame from moving

10. How to stop Child Windows moving

11. Q: How to stop a dialog being moved

12. Q: HELP Is it possible to stop a dialog being moved once created