How generate .LIB, but not .DLL?
Author Message
 How generate .LIB, but not .DLL?

I need to generate a .LIB file without generating the .DLL.  Is there a way
to do this in VC6?

(The reason is that generating a .DLL will fail at this point in the build,
because a dependent library isn't yet available.  However, the .LIB can be
generated because all the compiles are complete)

I've done this with make files by hand, but I'd rather do it with DSP files.

Thanks for any help,
-Dave C

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How generate .LIB, but not .DLL?
Usually, I just Force File Output in the link tab.  that generates the DLL
and the Lib, but of course the DLL won't run.

Bryan Donaldson
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it...

p.s.   It sounds like you might have circular DLL dependency (DLL A depends
on DLLB, but DLL b depends on DLL A).  Take my advice and get rid of this as
soon as possible.  We had that for several years.  We finally (after many
headaches) took the time to kill the circular dependency.

Quote:

>I need to generate a .LIB file without generating the .DLL.  Is there a way
>to do this in VC6?

>(The reason is that generating a .DLL will fail at this point in the build,
>because a dependent library isn't yet available.  However, the .LIB can be
>generated because all the compiles are complete)

>I've done this with make files by hand, but I'd rather do it with DSP
files.

>Thanks for any help,
>-Dave C

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How generate .LIB, but not .DLL?
I tried Force File Output -- but it doesn't do the right thing.  It creates
a .LIB File, but doesn't put any of the objects in it, so the LIB file (as
well as the DLL) is useless.

I worked around the problem by putting a LIB command in as a pre-link custom
step.  This has the unfortunate side effect of always building the LIB twice
(when things are working fine), and the LINK will still give an error (when
the first build happens).  But it's good enough for us.

And you're right, we do have a couple of circular dependencies.  I'd like to
get rid of them, myself.  Maybe someday...

Thanks,
-Dave C

Quote:
> Usually, I just Force File Output in the link tab.  that generates the DLL
> and the Lib, but of course the DLL won't run.

> Bryan Donaldson
> Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it...

> p.s.   It sounds like you might have circular DLL dependency (DLL A
depends
> on DLLB, but DLL b depends on DLL A).  Take my advice and get rid of this
as
> soon as possible.  We had that for several years.  We finally (after many
> headaches) took the time to kill the circular dependency.

> >I need to generate a .LIB file without generating the .DLL.  Is there a
way
> >to do this in VC6?

> >(The reason is that generating a .DLL will fail at this point in the
build,
> >because a dependent library isn't yet available.  However, the .LIB can
be
> >generated because all the compiles are complete)

> >I've done this with make files by hand, but I'd rather do it with DSP
> files.

> >Thanks for any help,
> >-Dave C

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Generating the Crypt Example program - include/lib not ack

2. How to Generate LIB file from DLL?

3. Problem linking a VC generated static LIB into a win32 DLL project

4. problem importing 16-bit dll/generating lib

5. Merge Proxy/stub (in ATL) generated DLL does not change the Proxystubclsid32

6. DLL not making an import LIB during build?

7. Dll not found when including jvm.lib???

8. emVC 3.0 DLL project does not produce .lib file

9. To Cursor Lib or not to Cursor Lib

10. Differentiate LIB file for static library and LIB file for DLL

11. lib for generating HMT pages

12. Can't link MSVC generated .lib to Borland C++ application