vc6 randomly crashing while editing
Author Message
 vc6 randomly crashing while editing

I think it may have something to do with the classviewer as it seems to
crash most often when I'm editing a class method.  I've tried deleting the
project's .ncb file to little effect.  Basically, at any time while I'm
editing, a keypress or a mouse movement may cause vc6 to instantly
disappear, occasionally deleting the file I was editing at the same time.
I'm at the point where I'm beginning to wonder if I've just got a bad memory
chip in my machine, except for the fact that vc is the only application that
ever gives me problems.  I'm using Win2k and everything else is completely
fine.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sean

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:48:09 GMT
 vc6 randomly crashing while editing

[plus a bit more]

Quote:
>I think it may have something to do with the classviewer as it seems to
>crash most often when I'm editing a class method.  I've tried deleting the
>project's .ncb file to little effect.

This hapened to a co-worker today, as well as a some of my hardware
completely dying.  Must be in the air.

Class Viewer files are .clw and .aps (from ye-ole AppStudio days).  If
you've not got a complicated workspace setup, you can get rid of the
dsw and opt too.

There's also intellisence, if you've got it enabled, alway eager to
pop-up a window to help with definitions.  If it doesn't like you're
code, disable bits of it in the options, see if it makes a difference.

You could debug it with another copy of VS and hope it doesn't
disappear on the next crash, see the stack-trace and see if there's
anything interesting in it.

Rogue comments used by the wizard can mess it up too, so you could
check them, depending on how many "them" are.

Got an in-house rect-type and can crash the de{*filter*} with a perfectly
valid autoexp.dat entry, in one spot in the app, only if you manually
step over it :)  As long as that call is somewhere in the code
executed in the F10, no matter how deep, it blows-up.  Can't cure it
either, only visible symptoms are the the type won't expand for no
obvious reason {...} and the post-crash variable/memory state looks
like it's been completely hosed by something where before the crash
everything is perfect.

Ta ra,

Jim M

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 10:39:42 GMT

1. vc6 ide randomly crashing during editing

2. ActiveX Control works fine in test container, crashes VB5 randomly

3. SHFileOperation crashes randomly.

4. CControlBar::m_bAutoDelete=TRUE causes shutdown crash porting from VC6 to VC7

5. DAO SDK and VC6 Debug build crash

6. MSDEV crashes with VC6 SP3

7. Help w/ app crashing in MFC shared dll but not w\ static MFC using VC6

8. VC6 crashes after XP upgrade

9. VC6 Crash on Win2k & Athlon

10. Crash in VC6

11. vc6 crashed

12. How to not crash everytime you open VC6