ATL COM - Locks machine after attempting registration
Author Message
 ATL COM - Locks machine after attempting registration

To all:

I am new to ATL COM. As a test, I attempted the following:
1) created a new ATL COM Workspace
2) Added a simple COM Object
3) Added 3 methods to the object
4) Added code to implement the methods
5) Invoked the Build process

Build process ran, compiled all components, linked the DLL, then displayed
the message "Performing registration". This process "ran" for a while but
nothing seemed to happen. I attempted to invoke the "Stop Build" function,
but it did nothing.

The end result was that my machine was totally hung, and I needed to do a
hard boot.

Can someone please let me know how to resolve this problem?

TIA

Jory

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 21:53:49 GMT
 ATL COM - Locks machine after attempting registration
I don't know off hand how to prevent Visual C++ from
{*filter*} (it does it all of the time).  However, if you
want to close down VC without rebooting you should try
this.

1. Try to close VC
2. When it displays the message that you need to stop the
build manually first press Ctrl+Alt+Del
3. Select VC on Task Manager and kill it.
4. You can then restart VC and everything should be fine
(any problems it has ever given me were solved if I did a
clean build)

Quote:

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 23:35:39 GMT
 ATL COM - Locks machine after attempting registration
Thanks, Larry, I'll try it.

--
Jory

Quote:
> I don't know off hand how to prevent Visual C++ from
>{*filter*} (it does it all of the time).  However, if you
> want to close down VC without rebooting you should try
> this.

> 1. Try to close VC
> 2. When it displays the message that you need to stop the
> build manually first press Ctrl+Alt+Del
> 3. Select VC on Task Manager and kill it.
> 4. You can then restart VC and everything should be fine
> (any problems it has ever given me were solved if I did a
> clean build)

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:26:23 GMT
 ATL COM - Locks machine after attempting registration
Jory,
This question may be more fitting in microsoft.public.vc.atl .
This may be a silly response, but try disabling your Antivirus software
since it locks registration.
And tell me how it goes...

gl....

Tom K.

Quote:

> To all:

> I am new to ATL COM. As a test, I attempted the following:
> 1) created a new ATL COM Workspace
> 2) Added a simple COM Object
> 3) Added 3 methods to the object
> 4) Added code to implement the methods
> 5) Invoked the Build process

> Build process ran, compiled all components, linked the DLL, then displayed
> the message "Performing registration". This process "ran" for a while but
> nothing seemed to happen. I attempted to invoke the "Stop Build" function,
> but it did nothing.

> The end result was that my machine was totally hung, and I needed to do a
> hard boot.

> Can someone please let me know how to resolve this problem?

> TIA

> Jory

Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:02:52 GMT

1. ATL COM - Passing ATL COM classes through another ATL COM class in the same app

2. COM ATL Object fails registration

3. Calling ATL COM Dll from Remote Machine

4. ATL COM EXE LOCKS UP AFTER 15-45 Minutes

5. DCOM registration on client machines

6. Component registration fails with a lock in a CComAutoCriticalSection

7. Visual C++ slow or locks up machine

8. logoff user after locking machine

9. ATL 7 side-by-side component registration

10. Registration problem of ATL 7

11. Interface Registration in ATL projects

12. ATL DLL Registration Question