NON-debug DLLs in debug
Author Message
 NON-debug DLLs in debug

I'm getting a crash in an DLL in my production code, but I cannot reproduce
it in VC++. One, idea I have is to try to reproduce it in VC++ with
production DLLs.

How can I change a debug project to use production DLLs. Spefically, I want
to use:

* MSVCRTD.dll instead of MSVCRT.dll

Thanks!!!!

/sten

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:23:17 GMT
 NON-debug DLLs in debug

Quote:

> I'm getting a crash in an DLL in my production code, but I cannot reproduce
> it in VC++. One, idea I have is to try to reproduce it in VC++ with
> production DLLs.

> How can I change a debug project to use production DLLs. Spefically, I want
> to use:

> * MSVCRTD.dll instead of MSVCRT.dll

> Thanks!!!!

> /sten

MSVCRTD.DLL is the debug version.

To answer your original question: In the release build settings, change
the C/C++ page to generate the program database, and change the Link
page to turn on Generate Debug Info. Then build it and run it in the
de{*filter*}.  This gives you a release build that can be looked at with the
de{*filter*}.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:04:38 GMT
 NON-debug DLLs in debug
You should also add /opt:ref to the link tab, otherwise your executable will grow

larger.

With /opt:ref added you can (and should) leave the debug info enabled in release
builds at all times.

See this article for details.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:

> > I'm getting a crash in an DLL in my production code, but I cannot reproduce
> > it in VC++. One, idea I have is to try to reproduce it in VC++ with
> > production DLLs.

> > How can I change a debug project to use production DLLs. Spefically, I want
> > to use:

> > * MSVCRTD.dll instead of MSVCRT.dll

> > Thanks!!!!

> > /sten

> MSVCRTD.DLL is the debug version.

> To answer your original question: In the release build settings, change
> the C/C++ page to generate the program database, and change the Link
> page to turn on Generate Debug Info. Then build it and run it in the
> de{*filter*}.  This gives you a release build that can be looked at with the
> de{*filter*}.

> --
> Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:17:48 GMT

1. Debugging code linked to non-debug versions of DLLs

2. Debigging non-debug process and debug DLL

3. Heap Problems: Both Debug and non-Debug versions of CRT are active

4. mixing DEBUG and NON-DEBUG versions of CRT

5. redirecting a debug string to the debug IDE window in non-MFC app (ala TRACE)

6. redirecting a debug string to the debug IDE window in non-MFC app (ala TRACE)

7. Debug / non-debug compatibility

8. Linking to debug and non-debug CRT libraries.

9. Debugging child process, Startup .EXE for debugging DLL

10. purify complains "Both Debug and non-Debug versions of CRT are active;"on Debug build

11. purify complains "Both Debug and non-Debug versions of CRT are active;"on Debug build

12. purify complains "Both Debug and non-Debug versions of CRT are active;"on Debug build