Persistence of Favorites in MSDN Library
Author Message
 Persistence of Favorites in MSDN Library

Hi All,

When using MSDN Library (Jan 2000), from time to time I loose the list of
Topics I had saved under the Favorites tab.

Is there a way to save them to an external file and restore them from such a
file.

TIA,
Richard Muller

Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Persistence of Favorites in MSDN Library
The favorites (and other such things) are stored in a file named HH.Dat.  You
may find it nested under an "Application Data" directory.

Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Persistence of Favorites in MSDN Library
There is a another way of saving favorites than backing up hh.dat. Open
your topic, then go to Go->URL and save the URL in a file or make it a
favorite in IE (then you can simply use IE). This URL could change if your
installation directory for a newer MSDN installation is different from the
previous one.

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Persistence of Favorites in MSDN Library
Hi Folks,

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I opened HH.dat and searched for the name
of one of my favorites, but it appeared not to be contained in that file.
Certainly, the file is not a pure text file.  Perhaps they employed a tricky
compression scheme to store the names.

For the time being, I start backing it up, nevertheless, and later test it
on another machine.

How about accessing the Favorite items using Windows Script Host to invoke
some OE5 API member?  Any ideas along that line?

Regards,
Richard

Quote:
> Hi All,

> When using MSDN Library (Jan 2000), from time to time I loose the list of
> Topics I had saved under the Favorites tab.

> Is there a way to save them to an external file and restore them from such
> file.

> TIA,
> Richard Muller

Fri, 06 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Persistence of Favorites in MSDN Library
Hi Richard,

I usually launch the MSDN library from VC++ IDE. It seems if I explicitly
close the MSDN Library before I close the VC++ IDE, then the favorites get
saved; if I close the VC++ IDE first, which in turn closes the MDSN Library
automatically, then the favorites get lost.

Bull

Quote:
> Hi All,

> When using MSDN Library (Jan 2000), from time to time I loose the list of
> Topics I had saved under the Favorites tab.

> Is there a way to save them to an external file and restore them from such
> file.

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Persistence of Favorites in MSDN Library
Thanks, Bull.  That's nice to know.  I keep VC up all the time, except when
I install some other software that recommends shutting everything down.
From here on out, I hope I remember your tip when I shut it down.

Regards,
Richard

Quote:
> Hi Richard,

> I usually launch the MSDN library from VC++ IDE. It seems if I explicitly
> close the MSDN Library before I close the VC++ IDE, then the favorites get
> saved; if I close the VC++ IDE first, which in turn closes the MDSN
Library
> automatically, then the favorites get lost.

> Bull

Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Where does MSDN store Favorites?

2. How to export favorites from MSDN?

3. Where are MSDN favorites are saved?

4. backup MSDN favorites

5. animate.lib library in MSDN Online Library

6. .Net Object Persistence Library Beta test

7. Can anybody tell me where MSDN Library Visual Studio 6.0 saves its 'Favorites'?

8. MSDN library subscription when in January?

9. Polygon tutorial inside MSDN library

10. Corrupted 'subset's in the MSDN Library

11. MSDN Library IDE Integration

12. MSDN Library