Custom Visual C++ 6.0 Project Types . . . HELP Please!
Author Message
 Custom Visual C++ 6.0 Project Types . . . HELP Please!

I would like to know if the VC++ IDE can be extended to include a custom
project type?

We want to use the IDE to manage our entire build environment, which
requires us to use different compilers to generate executables for different
platforms.  Since the majority of our executables are Windows-based (built
with VC++ 6.0), and add the fact that we like the VC++ IDE environment, we
want to create a custom project type that allows us to use other
compilers/linkers.

I guess we essentially want to create a project that builds a .exe (among
other things), but that uses a different compiler/linker than the MS
compiler and linker.  We want to be able to set the include/lib paths,
define preprocessor symbols, etc at the project level, that will be in
effect for all the source included in the project.

We could probably use the "Utility Project" to do this, but it would require
a custom build step for each .c/.cpp file.  No sharing of common
preprocessor symbols or compiler options are allowed with this type either.

Can this be done and where do I start?

Jeff

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Custom Visual C++ 6.0 Project Types . . . HELP Please!

Quote:

> I would like to know if the VC++ IDE can be extended to include a custom
> project type?

> We want to use the IDE to manage our entire build environment, which
> requires us to use different compilers to generate executables for different
> platforms.  Since the majority of our executables are Windows-based (built
> with VC++ 6.0), and add the fact that we like the VC++ IDE environment, we
> want to create a custom project type that allows us to use other
> compilers/linkers.

> I guess we essentially want to create a project that builds a .exe (among
> other things), but that uses a different compiler/linker than the MS
> compiler and linker.  We want to be able to set the include/lib paths,
> define preprocessor symbols, etc at the project level, that will be in
> effect for all the source included in the project.

> We could probably use the "Utility Project" to do this, but it would require
> a custom build step for each .c/.cpp file.  No sharing of common
> preprocessor symbols or compiler options are allowed with this type either.

> Can this be done and where do I start?

yes, simple use an external makefile for which Developer Studio generates a wrapping project file.
Build and Build All work, but not compile a single file.

 Daniel

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual C++ Version 4(Projects and Sub-Projects) Help Please

2. Visual C++ 6.0 Help Needed please !!!!

3. Please help Compiling with Visual C++ 6.0 and 5.0

4. Newbie question: Converting Borland C++ projects to Visual C++ 6.0

5. Port C++ .NET Project back C++ 6.0 :: Visual Studio

6. Newbie question: Converting Borland C++ Builder 5.0 projects to Visual C++ 6.0

7. Problem with Visual Studio 6.0 (Visual C++ 6.0) !!!!

8. Visual C++ hangs when doing custom build in MFC project

9. dialog form in Visual C++ 6.0 DLL project

10. How does one select the Sub-Project Build in Visual C++ 6.0

11. Visual C++ 6.0, compile order of source files in a project

12. Rename project in visual C++ 6.0