Touching a .h, .cpp won't rebuild.
Author Message
 Touching a .h, .cpp won't rebuild.

    I am touching a .h file and MSDEV is rebuilding all of the files that
include it in that static library (this library is included in my main
project as a dependency.)

    In my main application there is a file that also includes this .h file.
It will not rebuild no matter how many times I touch the .h file, and I've
checked to make sure that the .h file's date is later than the .cpp and the
.obj.

    I've had date mismatches on occasion (which is why I checked that
first), but my current project is well over a hundred files and half a dozen
libs, and this is the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

    I have forced the entire project to rebuild.  I then touch the .h file.
It still only rebuilds the library files that include that header.  The file
in the main application doesn't get rebuilt.  So I went to another file in
the main app and included that header.  Still no luck...it doesn't rebuild
when I touch the header as well.

- Roulette

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 06:49:16 GMT
 Touching a .h, .cpp won't rebuild.
    Ooooh...tricky.

    It turns out MS had an identical header.  I was figuring this wouldn't
be an issue since when I include mine I give a specific path and we use
different guard protectors (#ifndef xxx.)  When I change the header's name,
however, it all works.  If I then resave it as the original name, it starts
failing again.

    It doesn't seem to matter for files that are within that library (they
always rebuild correctly), but for the main app I'm guessing MSDEV is making
some kind of mistake and checking the date of one header file (in this case,
MS' header) even though I'm specifying an absolute path to another (mine,
which has the same name and a date later than the .obj file.)

- Roulette

Quote:
>     I am touching a .h file and MSDEV is rebuilding all of the files that
> include it in that static library (this library is included in my main
> project as a dependency.)

>     In my main application there is a file that also includes this .h
file.
> It will not rebuild no matter how many times I touch the .h file, and I've
> checked to make sure that the .h file's date is later than the .cpp and
the
> .obj.

>     I've had date mismatches on occasion (which is why I checked that
> first), but my current project is well over a hundred files and half a
dozen
> libs, and this is the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

>     I have forced the entire project to rebuild.  I then touch the .h
file.
> It still only rebuilds the library files that include that header.  The
file
> in the main application doesn't get rebuilt.  So I went to another file in
> the main app and included that header.  Still no luck...it doesn't rebuild
> when I touch the header as well.

> - Roulette

Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:01:16 GMT
 Touching a .h, .cpp won't rebuild.
There is a list of files (can't remember where) that are designated as not
having their date checked. This is an optimization for files that are not
supposed to change, like windows.h

That's why this file was having no effect. I don't know why it works in your
library. That's odd..

Quote:

>     Ooooh...tricky.

>     It turns out MS had an identical header.  I was figuring this wouldn't
> be an issue since when I include mine I give a specific path and we use
> different guard protectors (#ifndef xxx.)  When I change the header's name,
> however, it all works.  If I then resave it as the original name, it starts
> failing again.

>     It doesn't seem to matter for files that are within that library (they
> always rebuild correctly), but for the main app I'm guessing MSDEV is making
> some kind of mistake and checking the date of one header file (in this case,
> MS' header) even though I'm specifying an absolute path to another (mine,
> which has the same name and a date later than the .obj file.)

> - Roulette

> >     I am touching a .h file and MSDEV is rebuilding all of the files that
> > include it in that static library (this library is included in my main
> > project as a dependency.)

> >     In my main application there is a file that also includes this .h
> file.
> > It will not rebuild no matter how many times I touch the .h file, and I've
> > checked to make sure that the .h file's date is later than the .cpp and
> the
> > .obj.

> >     I've had date mismatches on occasion (which is why I checked that
> > first), but my current project is well over a hundred files and half a
> dozen
> > libs, and this is the first time I've seen this sort of thing.

> >     I have forced the entire project to rebuild.  I then touch the .h
> file.
> > It still only rebuilds the library files that include that header.  The
> file
> > in the main application doesn't get rebuilt.  So I went to another file in
> > the main app and included that header.  Still no luck...it doesn't rebuild
> > when I touch the header as well.

> > - Roulette

Thu, 01 Jul 2004 02:36:24 GMT

1. Rebuild, Rebuild, Rebuild

2. Win 2000 built OCX won't load on a WIn NT or 98 system

3. MFC Automation Can't Touch Data Members?

4. MFC class lib's for touch screen point of sales

5. VS doesn't remember I rebuilt a file

6. VC++ doesn't rebuild when an external lib or obj file is newer

7. I can't move a .dll every time I rebuild it

8. Help: Can't rebuild project

9. Can't rebuild VC++ 5.0 ClassWizard .clw file

10. Where's Rebuild time

11. Can't rebuild VC++ 5.0 ClassWizard .clw file

12. INTERNAL COMPILER ERROR file 'msc1.cpp', line 2701