Debug Build vs. Release Build
Author Message
 Debug Build vs. Release Build

Hi!

I experience that the release version of an application I have made
behaves different compared to the debug version of the same
application.The program is a Win32 Console Application, with extensive
use of dynamic memory allocation and pointer references.In debug mode
the program runs correctly. In release mode some numerical output from
the program get values like "-1.0#IO", or "-1.0#IND", or "-1.0#INF".
What is this? How can i resolve it? Why are the DEBUG and the RELEASE
versions different? The code is identical. Calculation speed is
unfortunately a very critical issue for this program. It is therefore
important to get the release version working.

Any comment or references to relevant information is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

Trond Rinde

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Debug Build vs. Release Build

It is probaby uninitialized variables. Is your code compiling clean?
If so it is probably uninitialized structures or classes in allocated
memory.

Try enabling floating point exceptions using _controlfp - that will
cause your program to crash the first time you use or create
illegal floating point numbers.

Also, if you have /GZ enabled in debug mode try disabling it,
if it's disabled, try enabling it.

Purify does an excellent job of telling you about your usage of
uninitialized variables.

And, of course, look for uninitialized data.

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Humongous Entertainment (we're hiring).
http://www.humongous.com/

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Debug build breaks, Release build ok

2. Debug Build works Release build doesn't?

3. Protection Violation in Release Build but not in Debug Build

4. Debug build works correctly but release build doesnt (sometimes)

5. Debug build works, release build crashes!

6. Error in Release build but not Debug build

7. Message Handler on Release build and debug build

8. VC6 Debug Build Works Fine - but Release Build Gives Error

9. Differences between release builds and debug builds?

10. Debug build breaks, Release build ok.

11. Worker Thread and MDI app - Release Build dies but Debug Build OK

12. Q: Dialog Tooltips work in DEBUG build but not under RELEASE Build