Screen Control in Win32 Console Applications
Author Message
 Screen Control in Win32 Console Applications

I teach an introductory college level C++ course using MS VC++ 5.0. We
start with Win32 console applications.

What can I do to make the students' output scroll one screen at a time?
Currently output with more lines than the window just scrolls right on
out.

Counting lines of output and then pausing for input is not viable
because the students don't know how to do loops or if statements yet!

Any help would be appreciated. Please reply to my email:

Thanks.

--
Mark Rosso

Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Meredith College

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Screen Control in Win32 Console Applications

Why not just pipe the program through "more"

Program | more

As long as there is no input, this should work just fine.

-Santino

Quote:

>I teach an introductory college level C++ course using MS VC++ 5.0. We
>start with Win32 console applications.

>What can I do to make the students' output scroll one screen at a time?
>Currently output with more lines than the window just scrolls right on
>out.

>Counting lines of output and then pausing for input is not viable
>because the students don't know how to do loops or if statements yet!

>Any help would be appreciated. Please reply to my email:

>Thanks.

>--
>Mark Rosso

>Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
>Meredith College

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Screen Control in Win32 Console Applications
As a simple solution, with no programming involved, make the students pipe
the program output through 'more', using

program.exe | more

--
Tomas Restrepo

>I teach an introductory college level C++ course using MS VC++ 5.0. We
>start with Win32 console applications.

>What can I do to make the students' output scroll one screen at a time?
>Currently output with more lines than the window just scrolls right on
>out.

>Counting lines of output and then pausing for input is not viable
>because the students don't know how to do loops or if statements yet!

>Any help would be appreciated. Please reply to my email:

>Thanks.

>--
>Mark Rosso

>Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
>Meredith College

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Screen Control in Win32 Console Applications
As a simple solution, with no programming involved, make the students pipe
the program output through 'more', using

program.exe | more

--
Tomas Restrepo

>I teach an introductory college level C++ course using MS VC++ 5.0. We
>start with Win32 console applications.

>What can I do to make the students' output scroll one screen at a time?
>Currently output with more lines than the window just scrolls right on
>out.

>Counting lines of output and then pausing for input is not viable
>because the students don't know how to do loops or if statements yet!

>Any help would be appreciated. Please reply to my email:

>Thanks.

>--
>Mark Rosso

>Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
>Meredith College

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Screen Control in Win32 Console Applications
You can also just increase the console buffer size to some large value.
Right click in the title bar of the console window to access it's
preferences.
Quote:

>I teach an introductory college level C++ course using MS VC++ 5.0. We
>start with Win32 console applications.

>What can I do to make the students' output scroll one screen at a time?
>Currently output with more lines than the window just scrolls right on
>out.

>Counting lines of output and then pausing for input is not viable
>because the students don't know how to do loops or if statements yet!

>Any help would be appreciated. Please reply to my email:

>Thanks.

>--
>Mark Rosso

>Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
>Meredith College

Sun, 18 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. how to use a console window in a win32 application..-- not console application

2. direct access to memory region where console-screen (win32) is located

3. How to Clear screen in Win32 Console?

4. Console control in console application

5. Win32 specific: Calling modal dialog box from a console application

6. #include statement compiler error and Win32 Simple Console Application

7. Icon in a Win32 console application

8. Size of Win32 and Console applications.

9. Iconized C++ Win32 console application.

10. How to Validate data in a Win32 Console Application

11. WIN32 Console Application Issues

12. Overriding CAsyncSocket OnReceive doesn't work in Win32 Console Application