ATL functions don't appear in profiler output
Author Message
 ATL functions don't appear in profiler output

I am attempting to profile my ATL control but I cannot get any information
on the ATL functions all I get is information of the following type:

CMXDatabase::InternalFinalConstructAddRef(void) (mxdocserver.obj)

this is useless to me as I have hundreds of functions within these libraries
that the profiler reports no data on. Does anyone have any idea why this is
so. The Batch file I am using for the profiler is

COPY %1.dll %1.sav
PREP /OM /FT %1.dll
COPY %1._ll %1.dll
PROFILE /I %1 /O %1 %2
PREP /M %1
PLIST %1
PLIST /T %1 > %1.csv
COPY %1.sav %1.dll

But all I get is a bunch of Add Refs and CoCreateInstances that tell me
nothing. Any help would be appreciated as this is making the the profiler
appear useless for ATL components.

Colin

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 21:43:27 GMT
 ATL functions don't appear in profiler output

Quote:
> I am attempting to profile my ATL control but I cannot get any
> information on the ATL functions all I get is information of the
> following type:

> CMXDatabase::InternalFinalConstructAddRef(void) (mxdocserver.obj)

> this is useless to me as I have hundreds of functions within these
> libraries that the profiler reports no data on. Does anyone have any
> idea why this is so. The Batch file I am using for the profiler is

> COPY %1.dll %1.sav
> PREP /OM /FT %1.dll
> COPY %1._ll %1.dll
> PROFILE /I %1 /O %1 %2
> PREP /M %1
> PLIST %1
> PLIST /T %1 > %1.csv
> COPY %1.sav %1.dll

> But all I get is a bunch of Add Refs and CoCreateInstances that tell
> me nothing. Any help would be appreciated as this is making the the
> profiler appear useless for ATL components.

Template code is, by it's very nature often inlined.  inlined code means no
actual function call.

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:06:03 GMT
 ATL functions don't appear in profiler output
I should mention that when I use this component from VB and compile and
executable I get no problems at all and all the functions are profiled no
problem. However if I use it from my Visual C++ program from which I am
using the #import statement I don't get the profiled function information.

Thanks

Quote:

> > I am attempting to profile my ATL control but I cannot get any
> > information on the ATL functions all I get is information of the
> > following type:

> > CMXDatabase::InternalFinalConstructAddRef(void) (mxdocserver.obj)

> > this is useless to me as I have hundreds of functions within these
> > libraries that the profiler reports no data on. Does anyone have any
> > idea why this is so. The Batch file I am using for the profiler is

> > COPY %1.dll %1.sav
> > PREP /OM /FT %1.dll
> > COPY %1._ll %1.dll
> > PROFILE /I %1 /O %1 %2
> > PREP /M %1
> > PLIST %1
> > PLIST /T %1 > %1.csv
> > COPY %1.sav %1.dll

> > But all I get is a bunch of Add Refs and CoCreateInstances that tell
> > me nothing. Any help would be appreciated as this is making the the
> > profiler appear useless for ATL components.

> Template code is, by it's very nature often inlined.  inlined code means
no
> actual function call.

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:21:54 GMT
 ATL functions don't appear in profiler output
I seem to have located the problem if not a solution. The Dll I am trying to
profile is called from another Dll which is in turn called from the
executable I am running. If I run another C++ application that calls the DLL
directly with the #import statement then it profiles fine however when i am
using a second Dll I cannot get profiling information. How can I profile a
dll that is called through another dll.

Quote:
> I am attempting to profile my ATL control but I cannot get any information
> on the ATL functions all I get is information of the following type:

> CMXDatabase::InternalFinalConstructAddRef(void) (mxdocserver.obj)

> this is useless to me as I have hundreds of functions within these
libraries
> that the profiler reports no data on. Does anyone have any idea why this
is
> so. The Batch file I am using for the profiler is

> COPY %1.dll %1.sav
> PREP /OM /FT %1.dll
> COPY %1._ll %1.dll
> PROFILE /I %1 /O %1 %2
> PREP /M %1
> PLIST %1
> PLIST /T %1 > %1.csv
> COPY %1.sav %1.dll

> But all I get is a bunch of Add Refs and CoCreateInstances that tell me
> nothing. Any help would be appreciated as this is making the the profiler
> appear useless for ATL components.

> Colin

Sat, 30 Jul 2005 23:50:39 GMT

1. ATL functions don't appear in profiler output

2. ATL functions don't appear in profiler output

3. Link Errors in VC.net that don't appear in VC 6.0

4. New classes don't appear on the ClassView tab

5. strings don't appear in CComboBox.

6. Tool Tips Don't Appear in Win95

7. strings don't appear in CComboBox.

8. Windows don't appear until someone presses the ALT Key

9. Why don't my message boxes appear?

10. With 64k colors in Win95 the CListCtrl and CTreeCtrl Icons don't appear

11. Can't get any output from the PROFILER (VC5.0)

12. Runtime output -- Don't understand!?