Trouble connecting visual studio 6.0 debugger to a running process compiled on the command line
Author Message
 Trouble connecting visual studio 6.0 debugger to a running process compiled on the command line

I am trying to connect the visual studio 6.0 de{*filter*} to a running java
process as described at:
http://www.*-*-*.com/
in the MSDN
and at
http://www.*-*-*.com/
in the context of Java JNI debugging
and again at
http://www.*-*-*.com/
context of JNI debugging.

I am generating the executable I am trying to debug using a makefile.  My
compiler and link options are below.  I am using the Visual Studio 6.0
compiler and linker within the makefile.
CFLAGS        = /Zi /Od /c /nologo /GX

LOPT      = /DEBUG -debug:full /NODEFAULTLIB /NOLOGO \

(earlier I tried the following as that's what a sample makefile I started
with had)
CFLAGS        = /Z7 /Od /c /nologo /GX

LOPT      = -debug:full -debugtype:cv /NODEFAULTLIB /RELEASE /NOLOGO \

The options I am currently using result in the following output files being
placed into a directory that is on the PATH.
somelibrary.dll
somelibrary.ilk  (Incremental Linker File)
somelibrary.pdb (Program Debug Database)
somelibrary.lib (Object File Library)
somelibrary.exp (Exports Library File)

My problem is that although I can get the de{*filter*} to attach to the
appropriate process and I can see the somelibrary.dll in the Module list
(once I let the java de{*filter*} step past the
System.loadLibrary("somelibrary") call)
I can't see the C++ source code so that I can insert a breakpoint.

When I try Tools->Source Browser I get the following error:

'C:\java\j2sdk1.4.1_02\bin\javaw.bsc'
Cannot open file.
File not found.

I was under the impression that specifying the /Zi and /0d compiler and the
/DEBUG linker options would provide enough information somehow that the
Visual Studio de{*filter*} could show me the code within which to place a
breakpoint even though I am building the C++ code external to Visual Studio.
What am I doing wrong?  Where should I go to figure it out?  I'm a bit lost.

In case your wondering why I'm using an external makefile, it has to do with
details related to SWIG and integration with my ant java build system.

Thank you for your time and energy spent reading this post.

Sincerely,
James Carpenter

AOL IM: nawkboyrules

Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:25:41 GMT

1. e: *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

2. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

3. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

4. Visual Studio crashing while running debugger

5. visual studio crashing while running debugger

6. Problem with Visual Studio 6.0 (Visual C++ 6.0) !!!!

7. Compiling a C program with MS Visual Studio 6.0

8. Visual C++ 6.0 attach to process debugger in Windows 2000

9. Can't run debug version after came back from Visual Studio 6.0

10. problem with Visual Studio 6.0 application that running on Windows 95

11. MS Visual C++ Debugger in long running process

12. Linker problem between Dev studio 5.0 and Visual Studio 6.0 VC++