Slow access from network
Author Message
 Slow access from network

I have a dedicated windows 2000 advanced server with 100mb full duplex
networking and filesharing, i store all my code and projects to the network,
VC/VS is very slow when loading or setting breakpoints, i'm using win 200
pro for the client side, same setup. ( the server is a 1.6ghz P4 with 512M
and a large hard disk array)

I have the server set for filesharing, i monitored the net performance, its
no where near maxed out, near is the filesystem. All the updates are in
place.

I monitored what VC/VS was doing with filemon, its constanly running through
hundreds of files all the time.

I'm the only one really using the network, its just a small one of about 10
machines, with the only real traffic generated by me (its all full duplex
100t)

Browse info off made it slightly better, switching off the plg helped a tiny
bit.

The network itself seems to be setup correctly , normal file transfers run
about the speed i'd expect. I wrote a few test programs to stress the
filesystem over the net, went ok, nothing untoward.

(I don't want to make it local to a machine, I want networked based file
servers with centralized codebases, (and sourcesafe isn't the answer for me,
i use it for source control, but this is different))

Theres also an annoying feature that every time you save a file,  dsp or
source file, a few seconds later it wants to reload it. Which if its a dsp
file takes forever, and often causes a edit and continue to kick in during
debugging when nothings been changed, which is really annoying. (and i'm
using an autosaver)

I'd imagine its either a file/date/time delta problem (ie the network save
time is slightly ahead of the vc record, or its a file notification thing)
It doesn't happen with windows 9x/ME only 2000 (and it happens on all my win
2000 machines )

I realize its probably just a case of just live with it,
VisualStudio/Windows networking just isn't good enough to be able to handle
working off a networked drive with a large nu, but i thought i'd give it a
shot, maybe someone will have fixed it, a workaround, or someone from MS
might just happen to read this take pity on me and give it a try.

I remember when intel used to flog their 100t networks as better than local
hard drives (since you can spend a fortune on a centralized superfast hard
disk array with lots of buffer memory, cache etc), not a chance =) at least
not in this case.

Incidently  does anyone use a novell network hooked to a windows machine
with a similar config? does it work well , do you get the same problems with
it reloading files. Or any other
suggestions for a centralized file share like this (it obviously has to be a
mountable drive letter style network) I seem to remeber novell having
options to alter the way file/date/time stamps worked.

If you've got any real solutions for me , I'd worship the ground you walk on
(from afar)

charlie

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 03:39:58 GMT
 Slow access from network
Well one of the problems i found a work around for, I deleted the .opt files
for all the dsp files i was using, This changed the load time for the
project from 20 minutes <1min

Something was defintely goofy with the .opt files since with filemon it was
showing almost constant access to two files over and over, and locking
devstudio for a long
time.

next, switched off the sourcesafe update in the registry to stop it scanning
for changes ( i'm the only one so it doesnt matter) i'd forgotten about
that, thats a standard fix.

next, switched off the file refresh in the registry.

then i built false NCB files and write protected them, i rarely use it, as
useful as it is the extra time it uses is intolerable.

Instead of filemon showing constant activity for msdev , it only shows
sporadic activity.

My build times have shrunk considerably, and i mean considerably..

Next i will try pushing up the MTUs to 9k but my network is not the
bottleneck

Lets hope VS7 is properly multithreaded and SMP aware.

charlie.

Quote:
> [...]

> I remember when intel used to flog their 100t networks as better than
local
> hard drives (since you can spend a fortune on a centralized superfast hard
> disk array with lots of buffer memory, cache etc), not a chance =) at
least
> not in this case.

> Incidently  does anyone use a novell network hooked to a windows machine
> with a similar config? does it work well , do you get the same problems
with
> it reloading files. Or any other
> suggestions for a centralized file share like this (it obviously has to be
> mountable drive letter style network) I seem to remeber novell having
> options to alter the way file/date/time stamps worked.

> If you've got any real solutions for me , I'd worship the ground you walk

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 05:12:30 GMT

1. VC++ 6.0 SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW

2. Slow Network with Office

3. Resource Editor VERY slow with network files

4. Source Safe Initialize is too slow when I'm not on the network

5. OLE Links slow to load in MFC over network

6. VC 5.0 Slow in dialog editor on Network.

7. Access(.mdb) ODBC became seriously slower

8. SQL server access through odbc too slow

9. Slow predef Access query

10. MS Access file slow after Compact and Repair

11. Slow database access with DAO

12. My ListView gets slower and slower, why ????