Debugging in Release Mode 
Author Message
 Debugging in Release Mode

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this.  I have a program that
when compiled in debug mode works just fine.  However, when compiled in
release it does not.  I get a GPF when exiting.  So, I would like to figure
out how to get into the executable with something other than the disassembly
code.  When it GPFs I get the opportunity to debug into it.  However, I
don't get any of the source - just the disassembly.  For me that is useless
(since I have not a clue how to read it).

Is there any way to get this puppy to open with the source visible so I can
see exactly where the failure occurred?  Or do I just release the debug
version and live with it (obviously not the right thing to do).

--
Ed Fultz
CGI
Andover, Ma



Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Debugging in Release Mode

Quote:

> I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this.

It's as good a place as any.

Quote:
> I have a program that
> when compiled in debug mode works just fine.  However, when compiled in
> release it does not.  I get a GPF when exiting.  So, I would like to figure
> out how to get into the executable with something other than the disassembly
> code.  When it GPFs I get the opportunity to debug into it.  However, I
> don't get any of the source - just the disassembly.  For me that is useless
> (since I have not a clue how to read it).

> Is there any way to get this puppy to open with the source visible so I can
> see exactly where the failure occurred?

If using the IDE, select the C++ tab in project settings
for all the files you want to debug as source and set
the "Debug info" combo-box to "Program Database".
Then select the Link tab and check "Generate debug
info".  Rebuild.

In a makefile, this means /Zi and possibly /Fd(file) on
compiles and /debug and /pdbtype:sept on the link.

Quote:
> Or do I just release the debug
> version and live with it (obviously not the right thing to do).

Of course not.

--
--Larry Brasfield
Above opinions may be mine alone.



Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Debugging in Release Mode

Quote:
>So, I would like to figure
>out how to get into the executable with something other than the disassembly
>code.

Alter the settings for the release build to include debug information.

On the Project Settings, C++ tab, Category - General, select the
appropriate debug info in the combo box. In the Link tab, Category -
General, set the Generate debug info check box. Then re-build, and you
can debug your release build. Because of optimization, variables
displayed in the de{*filter*} may not match what you expect (as they could
be held in registers), and lines of code may be merged into one.

Dave
----
Address is altered to discourage junk mail.
Please post responses to the newsgroup thread,
there's no need for follow up email copies.
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Tue, 25 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. how to debug in release mode ?

2. How to debug in release mode..?

3. Debugging in release mode

4. how to debug in release mode ?

5. How to debug in release mode..?

6. how to debug in release mode ?

7. Going from Debug to Release Mode

8. Going from Debug to Release Mode

9. VC6 Debug vs Release mode

10. exception in debug n release mode

11. Results can change between Debug and Release mode?

12. double value is different in DEBUG and RELEASE mode

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software