Visual Studio desktop layout (Visual Studio/Visual C++ 6)
Author Message
 Visual Studio desktop layout (Visual Studio/Visual C++ 6)

I have somehow changed the "normal" layout, which I vastly prefer, to
something else
and cannot get it back the way it used to be. By "normal layout" I mean
with the project
tree panel fixed at the left (docked??), and files windows appearing one
at a time and filling
the rest of the desktop (my terminology may be incorrect here...) to the
right of the
project panel. Whatever I did, unintionally, now has the project panel
and any open file windows
all "undocked" (not sure if this is the right term), i.e., they are all
separate windows that I can
tile or cascade. It drived me nuts since I am in the habit of getting to
the one I want by clicking
in the project tree, and it's now often buried under some other window.
I've tried checking and unchecking
the "docking" options wherever I can find them, but nothing seems to
help.

Where does one read about how this aspect of the Visual Studio works?

Ed

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:22:02 GMT
 Visual Studio desktop layout (Visual Studio/Visual C++ 6)
You want "Docking view" checked in all your panes, and the source files
maximized.  You'll probably have to fight with dragging the panes to the desired
position on the frame. It can be a little awkward, but it can be fixed.  If any
dockable windows are floating, just "grab" them by the caption, and drag them
off to the side of the frame until you see the outline in the desired docking
position.

The settings are stored in the registry under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DevStudio\6.0\Layout, but it's tricky to
attempt to decipher the binary data there.  Once you get it back the way you
like, export this registry key to a file so you can restore it if this happens
again.

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:22:01 GMT

1. e: *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

2. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

3. Visual Studio 6 back to Visual Studio 5

4. *HELP* After install Visual studio .Net, the Visual Studio Enterprise 6.0 stops working

5. porting visual c++ 6.0 addins to visual studio.net

6. Compiling C program with Visual C/C++ (Visual Studio c.0)

7. Microsoft Visual Studio.NET V.S. Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0

8. Good book on Microsoft Visual Studio Visual C++, C#, VB

9. Problem with Visual Studio 6.0 (Visual C++ 6.0) !!!!

10. Visual Studio projects (*.dsw) & Visual C++ (standalone)

11. Visual Studio/Visual C# Question

12. How can I use Visual Studio to run Visual C# .NET