vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file 
Author Message
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file

When I try to Open a File in the VC++6.0 IDE (menu or toolbar) or try to add
a File to the Project, I get the following crash:

The instruction at "0x5003eaed" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
memory could not be "read".

Does anyone have the same problem?

Ruedi Wittwer



Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file

Hi Ruedi:

Quote:
>The instruction at "0x5003eaed" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The
>memory could not be "read".

>Does anyone have the same problem?

Something similar happened to me after I manually halted the compiler before
it had finished.  It turned out that WinExec had been used to start cl.exe
but it hadn't returned (just hung) when I pressed the halt compile button.
There was no obvious sign, I noticed only when I tried to add a file to the
project.  Close Progam dialog (ctrl+alt+delete) box showed me what was going
on.

You just have to end the Winoldapp task - bearing in mind that we have an
identical problem.

Cheers: LJ



Wed, 21 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
LJ
Unfortunately we do not have the same problem.
My IDE crashes in every case, whether it is after booting my machine or
later. There are no other tasks running beside the IDE.
Thanks, Ruedi

Quote:

>Something similar happened to me after I manually halted the compiler
before
>it had finished.  It turned out that WinExec had been used to start cl.exe
>but it hadn't returned (just hung) when I pressed the halt compile button.
>There was no obvious sign, I noticed only when I tried to add a file to the
>project.  Close Progam dialog (ctrl+alt+delete) box showed me what was
going
>on.

>You just have to end the Winoldapp task - bearing in mind that we have an
>identical problem.

>Cheers: LJ



Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
You might try deleting the .OPT files that VC 6 creates in the same
directory as the workspace files that you open. I have used this "technique"
to get around repeated crashes before.

The other thing I have had to do is to clear out the saved toolbar state
information from the registry.

Sigh.

--
Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)


Quote:
>LJ
>Unfortunately we do not have the same problem.
>My IDE crashes in every case, whether it is after booting my machine or
>later. There are no other tasks running beside the IDE.
>Thanks, Ruedi


>>Something similar happened to me after I manually halted the compiler
>before
>>it had finished.  It turned out that WinExec had been used to start cl.exe
>>but it hadn't returned (just hung) when I pressed the halt compile button.
>>There was no obvious sign, I noticed only when I tried to add a file to
the
>>project.  Close Progam dialog (ctrl+alt+delete) box showed me what was
>going
>>on.

>>You just have to end the Winoldapp task - bearing in mind that we have an
>>identical problem.

>>Cheers: LJ



Mon, 26 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
Hello Randy
It crashes without an opened workspace. I just have to start VC++ and choose
File, Open.
What do you mean with the 'saved toolbar state'? I can not find anything
like that in the registry.
Thank you!
Ruedi


Quote:
>You might try deleting the .OPT files that VC 6 creates in the same
>directory as the workspace files that you open. I have used this
"technique"
>to get around repeated crashes before.

>The other thing I have had to do is to clear out the saved toolbar state
>information from the registry.

>Sigh.

>--
>Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)



Tue, 27 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
Hmmm. I didn't find a toolbar state key the registry, but there is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio. You might try renaming
this whole branch and then either reinstalling or try to open again.

On other thing - you say that you aren't opening a workspace, but Visual
Studio may be automatically trying to reopen the last workspace depending on
your settings.
--
Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)


Quote:
>Hello Randy
>It crashes without an opened workspace. I just have to start VC++ and
choose
>File, Open.
>What do you mean with the 'saved toolbar state'? I can not find anything
>like that in the registry.
>Thank you!
>Ruedi



>>You might try deleting the .OPT files that VC 6 creates in the same
>>directory as the workspace files that you open. I have used this
>"technique"
>>to get around repeated crashes before.

>>The other thing I have had to do is to clear out the saved toolbar state
>>information from the registry.

>>Sigh.

>>--
>>Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)



Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
Hmmm. I didn't find a toolbar state key the registry, but there is
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio. You might try renaming
this whole branch and then either reinstalling or try to open again.

On other thing - you say that you aren't opening a workspace, but Visual
Studio may be automatically trying to reopen the last workspace depending on
your settings.
--
Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)


Quote:
>Hello Randy
>It crashes without an opened workspace. I just have to start VC++ and
choose
>File, Open.
>What do you mean with the 'saved toolbar state'? I can not find anything
>like that in the registry.
>Thank you!
>Ruedi



>>You might try deleting the .OPT files that VC 6 creates in the same
>>directory as the workspace files that you open. I have used this
>"technique"
>>to get around repeated crashes before.

>>The other thing I have had to do is to clear out the saved toolbar state
>>information from the registry.

>>Sigh.

>>--
>>Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)



Fri, 02 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
I reinstalled the thing several times.
I also renamed the registry keys without any success. My setting does not
open the last opened
workspace.

Ruedi Wittwer


Quote:
>You might try renaming this whole branch and then either reinstalling or

try to open again.


Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
Reinstalling NT in a different directory solved the problem.

Configuration: NT4.0SP3, IE4SR1, Off97SR1 all german, VisStudio english.

I have no idea what was the cause of the crash (Boundschecker? TechPreview?
OptionPack?).

Carl

Ruedi Wittwer schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:
>I reinstalled the thing several times.
>I also renamed the registry keys without any success. My setting does not
>open the last opened
>workspace.

>Ruedi Wittwer



>>You might try renaming this whole branch and then either reinstalling or
>try to open again.



Mon, 12 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
Do you really mean NT (not VisualStudio)?
Ruedi
Quote:

>Reinstalling NT in a different directory solved the problem.
>........



Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
Do you really mean NT (not VisualStudio)?
Ruedi
Quote:

>Reinstalling NT in a different directory solved the problem.
>........



Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 vc++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file
I'm afraid, yes!!

Carl

Ruedi Wittwer schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:
>Do you really mean NT (not VisualStudio)?
>Ruedi


>>Reinstalling NT in a different directory solved the problem.
>>........



Tue, 20 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 12 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. VC++ 6.0 crashes when opening a file

2. File Open crashes VC++ 6.0 IDE

3. VC++ 6.0 Crashes on opening

4. Display of File Open Dialog Box in Win32 App in VC 6.0

5. VC++ 5.0 CRASH on opening a text file with .asp extension

6. Display of File Open Dialog Box in Win32 Application in VC++ 6.0

7. VC 6.0 crashes with .Net RC1

8. opengl enabled view crashing in nt2000 MFC MDI VC 6.0 app

9. MFC app crashes using new VC 6.0 libraries

10. CDatabase under VC 6.0 no longer opens.

11. HELP!!! Opening Serial Ports through VC 6.0

12. CDatabase under VC 6.0 no longer opens.

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software