error spawning cl.exe
Author Message
 error spawning cl.exe

At work, under NT, I have no trouble with vc++ 5.0.  At home, under
win95, I cannot compile from the ide.  It generates "error spawning
cl.exe", which is not too helpful.  I have to edit, save, and nmake from
a dos box.  This is rather painful.

Is there something I need to add to my config.sys, or somesuch?

Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 error spawning cl.exe

Mat:

I had similar problems with VC++, only under NT.

I won't go into details, but I installed, uninstalled,
and reinstalled VC++ and did some of the steps under different
domains.

The bottom line was that the registry entries for MS VC++
were pretty much all messed up and pointing at the wrong
directories.  It is possible that you registry entries for
MS VC++ paths are also wrong for some reason (doing an
install/uninstall/reinstall as I did, from moving the VC++
installation after installing, or ????).

You might try editing the registry and searching for
"DevStudio"  (or something else in the path of your VC++ 5.0
installation) and fixing the paths if needed.  That's how
I fixed the same symptom you described on my workstation.

Anyone know of some utility with VC++ that will check those
paths and fix them up????

Hope this helps.

Brian Spears

Quote:

--

Brian Spears         Western Printing Machinery Company (WPM)

                     9345 Byron Street
(847)678-1744 x7641  Schiller Park, IL   60176

Sun, 22 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 error spawning cl.exe

Hmm.  I looked through the registry, and everything seemed fine.
I'm gonna try uninstalling and reinstalling several times until it works.

Thanks.

Quote:

> Mat:

> I had similar problems with VC++, only under NT.

> I won't go into details, but I installed, uninstalled,
> and reinstalled VC++ and did some of the steps under different
> domains.

> The bottom line was that the registry entries for MS VC++
> were pretty much all messed up and pointing at the wrong
> directories.  It is possible that you registry entries for
> MS VC++ paths are also wrong for some reason (doing an
> install/uninstall/reinstall as I did, from moving the VC++
> installation after installing, or ????).

> You might try editing the registry and searching for
> "DevStudio"  (or something else in the path of your VC++ 5.0
> installation) and fixing the paths if needed.  That's how
> I fixed the same symptom you described on my workstation.

> Anyone know of some utility with VC++ that will check those
> paths and fix them up????

> Hope this helps.

> Brian Spears

> > At work, under NT, I have no trouble with vc++ 5.0.  At home, under
> > win95, I cannot compile from the ide.  It generates "error spawning
> > cl.exe", which is not too helpful.  I have to edit, save, and nmake from
> > a dos box.  This is rather painful.

> > Is there something I need to add to my config.sys, or somesuch?

> --

> Brian Spears         Western Printing Machinery Company (WPM)

>                      9345 Byron Street
> (847)678-1744 x7641  Schiller Park, IL   60176

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 error spawning cl.exe

You may want to check kb Q165792.

James

Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 error spawning cl.exe

I checked it out, but didn't see anything relevant....

Quote:

> You may want to check kb Q165792.

> James

Fri, 03 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compile error: Error Spawning Cl.exe or link.exe

2. error spawning cl.exe when profile

3. error spawning cl.exe in v6

4. Error: spawning cl.exe

5. Error spawning cl.exe???