EXP and .LIB generation during link
Author Message
 EXP and .LIB generation during link

Is there any way to turn off the periodic generation of .EXP and .LIB files
in the link step for an executable?  It is painfully slow.  Thanks.

Brian Corcoran

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 EXP and .LIB generation during link
Yes there is. Don't export functions from your executable.

You probably didn't mean to export functions from your executable, and
you probably didn't realize you were, but you are.

Try this: dumpbin yourprogram.exe /exports

That will tell you what functions you're exporting. Now look through your
code to find out why this is happening. In our case it meant we had a
bunch of inline functions in a DLL that had been marked as DLL_EXPORT
and this marking was still there when compiling the executable. I changed
our setup so that DLL_EXPORT was not specified when compiling the
.exe and things improved.

Plus, it looks more professional if you don't ship an executable that is
exporting functions!

Quote:

--
.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.cavedog.com

Mon, 24 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Unresolved externals in libcpmtd.lib during link step.

2. Inhibit .lib and .exp

3. How to avoid creation of .exp and .lib

4. VC++5: Creating library .\Debug/Test.lib and object .\Debug/Test.exp

5. Link errors during static link

6. Using Lib to create a .lib for linking

7. Link a lib with a lib

8. Problems w/LIB.EXE and link .LIB files...

9. DllMain link problem with nafxcwd.lib and libcmtd.lib

10. link error with nafxcw.lib and libcmt.lib

11. DLL not making an import LIB during build?

12. linked permutation-generation