VC6: Help! Bogus Dependencies!
Author Message
 VC6: Help! Bogus Dependencies!

Folks,

We've been having massive problems with huge amounts of unnecessary
rebuilding caused by bogus dependencies.

We have a single workspace with a large number of projects. In some of
those projects, for some bizarre reason, VC thinks the source files
depend on one or two object files (!). And because those object files
are regenerated during every rebuild, VC rebuilds the entire project
every time. It's maddening.

Why would a source file *EVER* depend on an object file? Can anyone
offer some insight?

Mon, 02 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VC6: Help! Bogus Dependencies!

Quote:

>Folks,

>We've been having massive problems with huge amounts of unnecessary
>rebuilding caused by bogus dependencies.

>We have a single workspace with a large number of projects. In some of
>those projects, for some bizarre reason, VC thinks the source files
>depend on one or two object files (!). And because those object files
>are regenerated during every rebuild, VC rebuilds the entire project
>every time. It's maddening.

>Why would a source file *EVER* depend on an object file? Can anyone
>offer some insight?

Are you observing this during Rebuild All? I've found that when project
dependencies are involved, the VC6 Rebuild All tends to rebuild projects
multiple times. To work around this problem, when I want to Rebuild All, in
the Batch Build dialog, I do a Clean followed by Build. I haven't observed
any similar problems during regular Builds.

--
Doug Harrison

Tue, 03 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Transitive dependencies in VC6

2. Update Dependencies in VC6????

3. VC6-SP3 Dependencies

4. Dependencies in VC6

5. Update Dependencies in VC6?

6. Linker and Dependencies Help

7. Static Libraries, debugging information and dependencies - help needed

8. PLEASE HELP: circular DLL import dependencies

9. VC 5.0 "External Dependencies" folder help

10. VC6: Help with F1 Help, please

11. Help, Make Dependencies Program

12. Using the VC6 audo generated help files with the MD HTML Help Compiler