How can i make ide to utilize 2 cpus in my machine to compile?
Author Message
 How can i make ide to utilize 2 cpus in my machine to compile?

Hi All,

    I have a 2-cpu machines installed with Winnt 4.0 sp6.

   when cl.exe compiles in the ide it uses 2 cpus with both ~50% to do the
job.. is this possible to charge up to both 100% so it will shorten the
compilation time? (now it takes at least 15 min to compile and link if from
scratch)

TIA,
Roger

Thu, 04 Dec 2003 05:52:16 GMT
 How can i make ide to utilize 2 cpus in my machine to compile?
both the ide and the compiler are not optimized for multiple processors.

and as far as I can tall nmake doesn't support the -j option that many Unix
makes support to do parallel builds.

marc

Quote:
> Hi All,

>     I have a 2-cpu machines installed with Winnt 4.0 sp6.

>    when cl.exe compiles in the ide it uses 2 cpus with both ~50% to do the
> job.. is this possible to charge up to both 100% so it will shorten the
> compilation time? (now it takes at least 15 min to compile and link if
from
> scratch)

> TIA,
> Roger

Fri, 05 Dec 2003 20:58:46 GMT
 How can i make ide to utilize 2 cpus in my machine to compile?
theres an article at MS on showing you how to build the browse info with the
second CPU, not terribly useful, but its a start.. Can't remember where it
is.easy enough to find though i'll bet.

Quote:
> Hi All,

>     I have a 2-cpu machines installed with Winnt 4.0 sp6.

>    when cl.exe compiles in the ide it uses 2 cpus with both ~50% to do the
> job.. is this possible to charge up to both 100% so it will shorten the
> compilation time? (now it takes at least 15 min to compile and link if
from
> scratch)

> TIA,
> Roger

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 03:42:41 GMT

1. Compiling for multi-CPU machines

2. calculate CPU % utilized, all memory used, etc.

3. Utilizing ODBC to communicate two different processes on different machines

4. Help with compiling a "canned" program

5. Multi-cpu, single threaded machine

6. Assertions (machine vs cpu)

7. How to move global IDE settings to a new machine

8. Copying ide prefs to a new machine

9. copy IDE Customization Settings to another machine

10. making VC 5.0 and 6.0 coexist on the same machine

11. IDE Makes funny noise

12. Making an exe file using VCPP IDE