"Cannot save file" error message
Author Message
 "Cannot save file" error message

Hi,

Microsoft says it's not necessarily your virus checker.  Check out KB
article 319789 (it says this is a new issue as of Sep 3, 2002):

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;en-us;319789

I'm getting this on my home XP Pro machine, but not at work on the same XP
Pro.  I also get it at home on ALL projects, whether they're under VSS or
not.  If I reboot into Win2k, I still get the same thing on ALL projects --
but only at home, not at work.  Same McAfee 7.0x virus checker on both
machines, similar Ethernet setup on both machines, other settings are
similar if not identical.  I'm thinking it might be more along the lines of
hardware, caching, sharing, etc.

If anyone is interested in helping me track this one down, please post here.

Jeff Elliott
C Guru, Inc.

Quote:
> I have VC++ 6.0, with service pack 5.

> When I've been editing a text file, usually .cpp or .h,
> and try to save it, I get a message saying

> 'filename'
> Cannot save file. The file may be in use by another
> application.

> If I click OK then immediately save again, I don't get
> the message and the file saves fine. This happens whether
> I try to save by manually clicking Save, closing the
> window and saying yes to save changes, pressing Build
> with the file open, etc.

> It never used to do this; I recently upgraded to Windows
> XP Pro from Millennium Edition, but I can't remember if
> the problem started exactly when I did that. I'd rather
> not have to re-install the whole thing.

> TIA

Tue, 14 Jun 2005 17:06:26 GMT
 "Cannot save file" error message
I'd forgotten about this thread. My hard drive failed so I had to start from
scratch with XP Pro and VC++ 6 as before. However I've not yet reinstalled
NAV2002 and what do you know, I haven't had the problem at all yet. I'll get
NAV2003 soon, see what happens. Have Symantec/McAffee et al taken notice of
this yet?

Thanks for the KB link, at least it's not just me.

Andrew

"Jeff Elliott" <CGuru at ess doubleyou dot are are dot com (sound it out)>

Quote:
> Hi,

> Microsoft says it's not necessarily your virus checker.  Check out KB
> article 319789 (it says this is a new issue as of Sep 3, 2002):

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319789

> I'm getting this on my home XP Pro machine, but not at work on the same XP
> Pro.  I also get it at home on ALL projects, whether they're under VSS or
> not.  If I reboot into Win2k, I still get the same thing on ALL
projects --
> but only at home, not at work.  Same McAfee 7.0x virus checker on both
> machines, similar Ethernet setup on both machines, other settings are
> similar if not identical.  I'm thinking it might be more along the lines
of
> hardware, caching, sharing, etc.

> If anyone is interested in helping me track this one down, please post
here.

> Jeff Elliott
> C Guru, Inc.

> > I have VC++ 6.0, with service pack 5.

> > When I've been editing a text file, usually .cpp or .h,
> > and try to save it, I get a message saying

> > 'filename'
> > Cannot save file. The file may be in use by another
> > application.

> > If I click OK then immediately save again, I don't get
> > the message and the file saves fine. This happens whether
> > I try to save by manually clicking Save, closing the
> > window and saying yes to save changes, pressing Build
> > with the file open, etc.

> > It never used to do this; I recently upgraded to Windows
> > XP Pro from Millennium Edition, but I can't remember if
> > the problem started exactly when I did that. I'd rather
> > not have to re-install the whole thing.

> > TIA

Wed, 15 Jun 2005 01:41:58 GMT

1. "Cannot save file" error message

2. Error "Cannot Load ActiveX component"

3. ERROR: memory cannot be "read"

4. Cannot compile--"error spanning cl.exe"

5. Why "cannot open file nafxcwd.lib"?

6. newbie question - "Cannot open include file"

7. cannot open file "mfc42ud.lib"??

8. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

9. "Cannot open include file"

10. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"

11. LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42u.lib"

12. cannot open file "nafxcwd.lib"