HELP: What do "vcspawn.exe" do???
Author Message
 HELP: What do "vcspawn.exe" do???

Hi

What does the vcspawn.exe program installed by Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise
and located in the folder
Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin do?

I get the following error message when trying to build a project in
Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise that worked just a few days ago.

--------------------Configuration: jasrad - Win32 Debug--------------------
Cannot start tool.
The operation completed successfully.
Cannot start tool.
Error spawning 'vcspawn.exe'. The build could not be performed.

----

I have tried to remove and reinstall Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise Edition,
with or without VS SP1 but it doesn't seem to help. I am running NT 4.0
Workstation,
SP4.

Thanks in advance!

/Frederick

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: What do "vcspawn.exe" do???

Quote:

> What does the vcspawn.exe program installed by Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise
> and located in the folder
> Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\MSDev98\Bin do?

VcSpawn is a helper utility to provide glue between the GUI based Visual
Studio and the Win32 console applications that it invokes. (Such as the
C/C++ compiler, linker and/or any custom build tools you specify.)

Quote:
> --------------------Configuration: jasrad - Win32 Debug--------------------
> Cannot start tool.
> The operation completed successfully.
> Cannot start tool.
> Error spawning 'vcspawn.exe'. The build could not be performed.

The last message is often misleading. Many times it does not indicate a
failure of VcSpawn itself, but instead a failure of the things VcSpawn
tried to do.

Check the jasrad project for any pre-link, post-link, or custom build
steps. My suspicion is that one of the steps is not working.

Since you say that it worked before, you might check to see if your path
has changed (meaning that a custom tool can no longer be found), or if a
directory or file needed by a custom tool has been recently deleted.

--- Tom

TA Software Systems
C{*filter*}tesville, VA, USA

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. HELP - I need "conv3ds.exe" ( Direct3D )

2. ""help with TSR""

3. Doing the opposite of AxImp.exe..Possible?

4. How to show message:"*.exe is running" and "*.exe finished" in DOS

5. Buildin : "Error spawning 'vcspawn.exe'"

6. Resolution of the "Error executing vcspawn.exe"

7. Process.Start(".exe")

8. "not an exe"

9. Error msg "MSDEV.EXE - No Disk"

10. What causes "Error spawning cl.exe"