Unix-style linking with VC++?
Author Message
 Unix-style linking with VC++?

Hello.

For some reasons, I want to use Unix-style linking with VC++.
That is, I want to create a library with common-purpose classes
and functions that are to be used in several applications, but
I don't want to ship a .dll file along with the application;
instead I want the library functions to be included in the
applications' .exe files. Also, I'd like the linker to pick
the required library modules automatically so I won't have
to include each required module into the applications'
projects manually.
Alternatively, I'd be content with a possibility to statically
include my self-made DLLs into the application's .exe file,
like it's possible with MFC.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

I am using Visual Studio 97 under NT 4.0.

Thanks for any comments.
Wolfram R?sler
GRP Entwicklungs- und Vertriebsgesellschaft
fr Produktionsdatenerfassungsanlagen mbH        Wolfram R?sler

D-52072 Aachen                                   Tel. 0241-88930-17
http://www.*-*-*.com/                                Fax  0241-870787

Fri, 29 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Unix-style linking with VC++?

Quote:

> Hello.

> For some reasons, I want to use Unix-style linking with VC++.
> That is, I want to create a library with common-purpose classes
> and functions that are to be used in several applications, but
> I don't want to ship a .dll file along with the application;
> instead I want the library functions to be included in the
> applications' .exe files. Also, I'd like the linker to pick
> the required library modules automatically so I won't have
> to include each required module into the applications'
> projects manually.
> Alternatively, I'd be content with a possibility to statically
> include my self-made DLLs into the application's .exe file,
> like it's possible with MFC.

> Is there a way to accomplish this?

Make a dsp-project that is an "Win-32 Static Library" and include it in
the different workspaces that you have for your applications. This will
produce a .lib file that is statically linked to your exe.

/Jonas U

Fri, 29 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How Can I Link *.exe to VC or link C program to VC

2. VC 4.2 link error linking static libraries from VC 6.0

3. Potably writing a unix-style password prompt

4. UNIX-style pager (pg/more/less/etc) question

5. UNIX/ANSI-C MSWin-style INI files

6. Faking unix-style pipes - any ideas?

7. HELP: Need unix style make.exe for NT

8. Help with Unix-style wildcards

9. UNIX style dirs

10. Saving files with UNIX style EOL

11. Compiling vc++ on unix

12. Plug-in style dynamic dll linking security issues.