DSN connection example please
Author Message
 DSN connection example please

my server seems to only do DSN connections.

I have configured the web server to have a name for the datasource called
dhi
but I do not know how to open it with asp/ado.

Can you or someone give me an example please?

thanks!

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 23:43:33 GMT
 DSN connection example please
http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm

gl,
Bill Wallace

Quote:
> my server seems to only do DSN connections.

> I have configured the web server to have a name for the datasource called
> dhi
> but I do not know how to open it with asp/ado.

> Can you or someone give me an example please?

> thanks!

Tue, 31 Aug 2004 01:20:38 GMT
 DSN connection example please
That was an excellent reference, however, if you want to get a good foundation
for all this I suggest you get the WROX book - Beginning ASP Databases by John
Kauffman.  It's really worth the 30 bucks and give a good insights to ODBC, OLE
DB, DSN, DSN-less connections, etc.  If you're a beginner it has lots of
examples that work.  Include them into Visual InterDev and you can trace the
code and get an idea what's happening.

One of the best books I purchased, especially since I don't always do DB stuff
and I forget and need a refresher each time.

regards,

Quote:

> http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm

> gl,
> Bill Wallace

> > my server seems to only do DSN connections.

> > I have configured the web server to have a name for the datasource called
> > dhi
> > but I do not know how to open it with asp/ado.

> > Can you or someone give me an example please?

> > thanks!

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:50:13 GMT
 DSN connection example please
I have yet to buy one of the Wrox books.  They appear to be
a MUST HAVE but every time I almost buy one the weight of the
thing has scared me off.  :)  Are they easily used as a reference
or do you need to sit down and read them cover to cover??

Thnx,
Bill Wallace

Quote:

> That was an excellent reference, however, if you want to get a good foundation
> for all this I suggest you get the WROX book - Beginning ASP Databases by John
> Kauffman.  It's really worth the 30 bucks and give a good insights to ODBC,
OLE
> DB, DSN, DSN-less connections, etc.  If you're a beginner it has lots of
> examples that work.  Include them into Visual InterDev and you can trace the
> code and get an idea what's happening.

> One of the best books I purchased, especially since I don't always do DB stuff
> and I forget and need a refresher each time.

> regards,

> > http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm

> > gl,
> > Bill Wallace

> > > my server seems to only do DSN connections.

> > > I have configured the web server to have a name for the datasource called
> > > dhi
> > > but I do not know how to open it with asp/ado.

> > > Can you or someone give me an example please?

> > > thanks!

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:04:49 GMT
 DSN connection example please
Hello,

I'm NOT a programmer full time so I don't remember all the nuiances in ASP or
VBScript.  The two books that I refer to ALWAYS are: Begining ASP Databases and
VBScript.

I also have Professional Active Server Pages 3.0 which I NEVER look at.  The book
Beginning ASP Databases has almost all of the information, examples, and
explanations that I need to get something accomplished.  I feel it VERY well
written.  You don't have to read it cover-to-cover.  I use the index or glossary to
figure out what I need to get done and jump to that section.  You can got to the
WROX website and get the sample applications that are an excellent start to get
things started.

I use the VBScript book when I need to figure out the language pecularities.  It's
cumbersome jumping between VBScript, JAVA/JSP, Perl, and Tcl.

Regards,

Quote:

> I have yet to buy one of the Wrox books.  They appear to be
> a MUST HAVE but every time I almost buy one the weight of the
> thing has scared me off.  :)  Are they easily used as a reference
> or do you need to sit down and read them cover to cover??

> Thnx,
> Bill Wallace

> > That was an excellent reference, however, if you want to get a good foundation
> > for all this I suggest you get the WROX book - Beginning ASP Databases by John
> > Kauffman.  It's really worth the 30 bucks and give a good insights to ODBC,
> OLE
> > DB, DSN, DSN-less connections, etc.  If you're a beginner it has lots of
> > examples that work.  Include them into Visual InterDev and you can trace the
> > code and get an idea what's happening.

> > One of the best books I purchased, especially since I don't always do DB stuff
> > and I forget and need a refresher each time.

> > regards,

> > > http://www.able-consulting.com/ADO_Conn.htm

> > > gl,
> > > Bill Wallace

Thu, 02 Sep 2004 05:35:51 GMT

1. Querying Paradox Date Field??

2. Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN

3. help on dsn-less connection please.

4. performance different between DSN to DSN-Less Connection

5. DSN vs DSN-less connections

6. OLEDB Connection instead of DSN Connection.

7. Need Connection string for VB6 DAO DSN-LESS Connections to SQL Server 2000

8. Connection string for DSN-less Informix connection

9. Need Connection string for VB6 DAO DSN-LESS Connections to SQL Server 2000

10. Emulating a DSN Gallery conection example

11. BGI driver

12. which Dsn(Data Source Name) is Faster System DSN Or File DSN