need help on client-side file download
Author Message
 need help on client-side file download

Using IIS 3.0, IE 3.x, VBScript, pure intranet and DUN through RAS.  Based
on a client-side vbscript yes-no message box asking if the client would
like to download a program file (exe), how do I script so the file will be
downloaded.  I'd like them to see the familiar dialog box that allows them
to select where to save it on their local PC like when you download a file
from Microsoft.  This particular web app is pure intranet.  We're doing the
appropriate client-side checks on the HTTP_USER_AGENT header and
server-side checks on browscap.  If a client does not have authenticode 2.0
installed the security for the activex controls will fail.  We have copied
auth2all.exe to the server and made it part of the project.  I've tried
various hrefs, can't use codebase, and am novice with FTP.  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.  The majority of the clients don't have it and I hate
sneakernet.  Thanks in advance.

Mike Sayko
Triad Research, Inc.

Sun, 21 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 need help on client-side file download

I have:
location.href="http://192.20.1.1/atsncm/cache/auth2all.exe"
and it does not work.  If I change to a test file I created with a zip
extension, authent.zip i.e.
location.href="http://192.20.1.1/atsncm/cache/authent.zip"
it works.  Your note about depending on associations is interesting but, I
know I can download auth2all.exe from Microsoft, so why can't I download it
from my server to intranet clients?

Mike

> Have you tried:
> location.href = "path_and_filename"

> The browser will try to open this file, and depending on the file's
> association, it may or may not try and download it.  For example, it will
> download ZIP files but it will open up TXT files in the browser window.

> Neil Henderson
> --

> >Using IIS 3.0, IE 3.x, vbscript, pure intranet and DUN through RAS.
Based
> >on a client-side vbscript yes-no message box asking if the client would
> >like to download a program file (exe), how do I script so the file will
be
> >downloaded.

Mon, 22 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 need help on client-side file download

Make sure the cache folder is read only -- not executable!  If it's
executable, the server will try and run auth2all.exe in your server's cache
directory.

Neil Henderson

>I have:
>location.href="http://192.20.1.1/atsncm/cache/auth2all.exe"
>and it does not work.  If I change to a test file I created with a zip
>extension, authent.zip i.e.
>location.href="http://192.20.1.1/atsncm/cache/authent.zip"
>it works.  Your note about depending on associations is interesting but, I
>know I can download auth2all.exe from Microsoft, so why can't I download it
>from my server to intranet clients?

Tue, 23 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Server Side Scripter needs help on Client Side

2. Jscript and access db (client side only) - urgently need help

3. Client Side Scripting Help Needed! - URGENT

4. Client Side Scripting Help Needed! - URGENT (again)

5. ASP.NET Web App: How To Load Client File - Process from Server Side - then Ask Client to Save Output File on Client Side?

6. HELP! how to download a file to client

7. Help converting server-side VBScript array into client-side JScript array

8. Printing Downloaded documents using client side script

9. attached Contact Item on server-side becomes attached Mail Item on client-side

10. How Can I Pass Data Between the Server Side and the Client Side VB/JScript

11. pass server side vbscript to client side javascript

12. Client side VS server side