why javascript instead of vbscript?
Author Message
 why javascript instead of vbscript?

someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
instead of VBScript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
the website.

thanks in advance,
jmc

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:53:06 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?
none...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
> the website.

> thanks in advance,
> jmc

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 02:22:10 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?
VBScript will not run on Netscape.

Javascript might be easier to learn if you are used to Java, VBScript if
you are used to VB.

The Javascript community is probably bigger than the VBScript community
where browser issues are concerned.

Gert-Jan

Quote:

> someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
> the website.

> thanks in advance,
> jmc

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 03:49:32 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?
Try them. See which one is easiest for you to use.  I think this one
of the original reasons behind the existence of VBScript alongside
Jscript; with the convergence of web development and traditional
executables, it provided accessibility to people coming from both ends
of the spectrum.

Note that if you are actually using any ActiveX stuff in your page, it
won't be Netscape-accessible whichever language you use.

Quote:
> someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data
> the website.

> thanks in advance,
> jmc

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 04:12:43 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?
It's quite simple to load msaccess database data
into a webpage with VBscript.

I guess you want to use asp pages to do it,
jsscript isn't so popular with asp, I wouldn't recommend it
unless you've got enough java experience because coding gets
more complex with jsscript then with vbscript.

Nick.

Quote:
> someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
> the website.

> thanks in advance,
> jmc

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 04:23:20 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?
Michael,

How can you write ASP pages in JavaScript? I haven't seen any database
manipulation written in JavaScript. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer
VBScript to JavaScript, HOWEVER, there are somethings that can't be done
with VBS.

--
Tim Burkart

Trinity Internetworking LLC
www.trinityinternetworking.com
Office:  (414) 525-1918
Mobile: (414) 803-9893
Fax:      (888) 761-8635

Putting the Internet to work for you

none...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
> the website.

> thanks in advance,
> jmc

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 04:49:55 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?

> Michael,

> How can you write ASP pages in JavaScript? I haven't seen any database
> manipulation written in JavaScript. Don't get me wrong, I much prefer
> VBScript to JavaScript, HOWEVER, there are somethings that can't be done
> with VBS.

> --
> Tim Burkart

JScript can be used as a language on ASP, so database manipulation with
it is really not a problem. I much prefer to use JavaScript on both the
client and the server, first of all it's more consistent (same language
on both platform).

Besides, JavaScript (JScript) is an object-oriented language, and used
skillfully is much more powerful than VBScript.

Laurent
- who is now stuck in a project where VB must be used, and who discovers
every day the inconsistency of the language...

Quote:

--
GalaSoft Laurent Bugnion
Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:33:14 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?

> VBScript will not run on Netscape.

You're talking about client-side VBScript. I think that the OP was
talking about server.side VBScript, though he didn't precise it.

Quote:

> Javascript might be easier to learn if you are used to Java, VBScript if
> you are used to VB.

Though JavaScript has almost nothing to do with Java. But it's true that
the syntax is similar, as to C, C++ and C#. It's just a very common
syntax for advanced programming language today. VBScript is parent with
VB, but JavaScript is not parent with Java (or maybe just a far far
cousin ;-).

Quote:
> The Javascript community is probably bigger than the VBScript community
> where browser issues are concerned.

Client-side maybe. Server-side, no. VBScript is more used on ASP than
JScript. Most examples are in VBScript.

Quote:
> Gert-Jan

> > someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> > instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
> > the website.

> > thanks in advance,
> > jmc

Laurent
--
GalaSoft Laurent Bugnion
Webdesign, Java, JavaScript: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch
Darjeeling teas: http://www.galasoft-LB.ch/indiantea

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:46:06 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?

Quote:

> someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
> the website.

> thanks in advance,
> jmc

Well, you don't say whether server side or client side, but the answer
is much the same in either case. VBScript is proprietary and ties you to
Microsoft operating systems - if client side, it means that users on
Unix or Mac systems or using browsers other than Internet Explorer on
Windows won't see all the wonderful things you are doing, if server side
it means you are tied to using MS servers - possibly a BAD THING, given
their track record on security and the costs. Javascript, however, can
be written for cross-platform compatibility, though not as easily as
we'd all like!

Paul

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:27:49 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?
hi paul,

it would be the client side.  okay i hope i do not confuse myself
more, but we use windows nt and also, our webmaster uses macromedia
with asp. sooooo to explain more, we have a copy of the website at our
office and i can make changes in asp as long as the webmaster knows
the changes, so they can also make the according changes.

it was proposed to us to change to xml/xsl/javascript.  so that is why
i was questioning the differences of javascript and vbscript.

thanks for replying!!! jmc

Quote:

> > someone please tell me the difference or benefits of javascript
> > instead of vbscript?  we are using ms access and i upload our data to
> > the website.

> > thanks in advance,
> > jmc

> Well, you don't say whether server side or client side, but the answer
> is much the same in either case. VBScript is proprietary and ties you to
> Microsoft operating systems - if client side, it means that users on
> Unix or Mac systems or using browsers other than Internet Explorer on
> Windows won't see all the wonderful things you are doing, if server side
> it means you are tied to using MS servers - possibly a BAD THING, given
> their track record on security and the costs. Javascript, however, can
> be written for cross-platform compatibility, though not as easily as
> we'd all like!

> Paul

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:46:47 GMT
 why javascript instead of vbscript?

<snip>
Quote:
> Though JavaScript has almost nothing to do with Java. But it's true that
> the syntax is similar, as to C, C++ and C#. It's just a very common
> syntax for advanced programming language today. VBScript is parent with
> VB, but JavaScript is not parent with Java (or maybe just a far far
> cousin ;-).

<snip>

Hmm ... what relation is Netscape to Sun...?

Stewart.

--
My e-mail is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies on the
'group where everyone may benefit.

Sun, 08 Aug 2004 04:19:11 GMT

1. compress mdb file

2. OLE - getting a list of functions

3. Why why why why?

4. Help! Why RTF instead of Plain Text

5. SortedList, Why Parenthesis instead of Brackets?

6. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

7. Why to use a TextBox instead of a RichTextBox

8. Why a picturebox instead of form

9. ~Why should one use VB instead of DELHPI?

10. Why Windows help file instead of HTTP?

11. Why Use dbList instead of msFlexGrid?

12. Newbie: Why use Access instead of VB to create front end