Eliminate page from browser history
Author Message
 Eliminate page from browser history

How can I prevent an ASP page (or any page for that matter) from being in
the browser's history? I know how to prevent caching and how to use the IE
4.0 window.location.replace method, but is there some way to do this without
using the replace method?

I have a link (call it page X) that calls an ASP page (call it page Y) with
a single form on it. Page Y's window_onload event submits a hidden form to
another page (call it page Z). Page Z displays tabular data. When on Page Z,
if the user clicks IE's Back button, the form is once again loaded on Page
Y, and the user sees Page Z again. They must click the Back button twice
quickly to truly go back to Page X.

How can I prevent this? I hope it makes sense. Any/All ideas appreciated.
Reply by email as well if possible. Thanks!

____________
Tommy Higdon
(tommy DOT higdon AT compaq DOT com)

Tue, 04 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Quote:

>How can I prevent this? I hope it makes sense. Any/All ideas appreciated.

First thing: Why is page Y involved at all? Why don't you make the link from
page X submit the form?

If there is a reason for using Y, I guess, you could try storing a variable
on another (possibly hidden) frame that says whether form Y has been
submitted yet. When page Y loads, it checks if it has already been
submitted, and if so, replaces itself with a different page.

This could also be done on the server, using Session variables.

Peter

--
Peter Torr, Developer / Webmaster          Vantage Systems Australia.

Sun, 09 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Eliminate page from browser history

Quote:

> >How can I prevent this? I hope it makes sense. Any/All ideas appreciated.

> First thing: Why is page Y involved at all? Why don't you make the link from
> page X submit the form?

> If there is a reason for using Y, I guess, you could try storing a variable
> on another (possibly hidden) frame that says whether form Y has been
> submitted yet. When page Y loads, it checks if it has already been
> submitted, and if so, replaces itself with a different page.

> This could also be done on the server, using Session variables.

> Peter

Or make a link in your page called "back" and have the browser hop two
places up in the history list (I can look up that code), or make a
backbutton that directly 'hrefs' to your prefered page.
Simple solutions...
But I happen to klik an JS button saying 'back' in stead of my "own"
browser back-button.

Ok?

Dave

Sun, 16 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. How can I eliminate the window.history

2. eliminate blank page at end of reports?

3. IE browser history

4. State as it relates to browser history

5. IE browser history

6. Browser history contents

7. Browser history control

8. IE browser history