Writing to client HD
Author Message
 Writing to client HD

We are using a custom browser (IE webbrowser control within an
executable) for our intranet access which locks down the desktop.  I
need a way to push an XML file to a client HDD (not to the browser).
The only way I have found is to use the FSO.BinaryWrite method using
an attachment Content disposition.  Is there ANY way to write this XML
file to a client machine without having the SAVE AS... dialog popping
up on the client machine?  I have tried some of the security settings,
but none seem to work.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:23:52 GMT
 Writing to client HD
I don't believe you will be able to do this. Possibly with some activex
component installed on the PC's, but even them I am not sure it will be
possible.
Just think of the potential security risks of something like that.

--
Curt
Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com

> We are using a custom browser (IE webbrowser control within an
> executable) for our intranet access which locks down the desktop.  I
> need a way to push an XML file to a client HDD (not to the browser).
> The only way I have found is to use the FSO.BinaryWrite method using
> an attachment Content disposition.  Is there ANY way to write this XML
> file to a client machine without having the SAVE AS... dialog popping
> up on the client machine?  I have tried some of the security settings,
> but none seem to work.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:34:54 GMT
 Writing to client HD
This is for your intranet in a private network?  Maybe you can use some
other means of publishing the file, such as those that the network admins
use, either logon scripts, SMS, or something like that.

Ray at work

Quote:
> I don't believe you will be able to do this. Possibly with some activex
> component installed on the PC's, but even them I am not sure it will be
> possible.
> Just think of the potential security risks of something like that.

> --
> Curt
> Software_AT_Darkfalz.Com
> http://www.Darkfalz.com
> ** And The Geek Shall Inherit The Earth

> > We are using a custom browser (IE webbrowser control within an
> > executable) for our intranet access which locks down the desktop.  I
> > need a way to push an XML file to a client HDD (not to the browser).
> > The only way I have found is to use the FSO.BinaryWrite method using
> > an attachment Content disposition.  Is there ANY way to write this XML
> > file to a client machine without having the SAVE AS... dialog popping
> > up on the client machine?  I have tried some of the security settings,
> > but none seem to work.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:39:24 GMT
 Writing to client HD

Quote:

>We are using a custom browser (IE webbrowser control within an
>executable) for our intranet access which locks down the desktop.  I
>need a way to push an XML file to a client HDD (not to the browser).
>The only way I have found is to use the FSO.BinaryWrite method using
>an attachment Content disposition.  Is there ANY way to write this XML
>file to a client machine without having the SAVE AS... dialog popping
>up on the client machine?  I have tried some of the security settings,
>but none seem to work.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

You can't do it with scripting. Script does not have access to the
client's file system (for very good reason). You can write an ActiveX
control to do it, since they can circumvent any security restrictions.
Then you'll have to persuade your management to let it run on your
client workstations.

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 21:56:53 GMT
 Writing to client HD

Quote:

> >We are using a custom browser (IE webbrowser control within an
> >executable) for our intranet access which locks down the desktop.  I
> >need a way to push an XML file to a client HDD (not to the browser).
> >The only way I have found is to use the FSO.BinaryWrite method using
> >an attachment Content disposition.  Is there ANY way to write this XML
> >file to a client machine without having the SAVE AS... dialog popping
> >up on the client machine?  I have tried some of the security settings,
> >but none seem to work.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

> You can't do it with scripting. Script does not have access to the
> client's file system (for very good reason). You can write an ActiveX
> control to do it, since they can circumvent any security restrictions.
> Then you'll have to persuade your management to let it run on your
> client workstations.

Thanks for all the quick replies.  I solved it with client-side
scripting, and Intranet security settings.  The thing that was
tripping me up (and it's a duh) was that I was using
Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FSO") instead of using the client-side
CreateObject("Scripting.FSO").  After I realized this, and figured out
which intranet setting to avoid the 429 error, everything works fine.
Thanks again for the quick (and numerous) replies.

Mon, 30 Aug 2004 22:55:56 GMT
 Writing to client HD
Tommy,

Since you're embedding IE, you can (provided you have a control over the
container application) capture events occurring in viewed web pages from the
executable. I already did it in a test application written in VB. Use IE
Document Object Model to capture events from tags.

If the application is written in VB, you simply have 1) to reference
"Microsoft HTML Object Library" in your project and 2) to declare global
variables that "point" to the tag you want to catch events from (e.g. Dim
WithEvents img as MSHTML.HTMLImg). You access a web page's elements from
MSIE document object.

Why this way? You won't run into security issues because the embedding
application controls the pages that are viewed. The event you want to trap
is "onreadystatechange" if you enclose your XML data by a <XML
id="something">. You can then read the content of that tag and save it in a
local file.

Another way is also to use XMLDOM in a client script. It can either grab the
XML data from a tag or download it directly from the web server using the
load() method. See the documentation for more details. When your data is
loaded into an XMLDOM, save it using the save() method.

Hope this helps.

--

Vince C.

Quote:

> > >We are using a custom browser (IE webbrowser control within an
> > >executable) for our intranet access which locks down the desktop.  I
> > >need a way to push an XML file to a client HDD (not to the browser).
> > >The only way I have found is to use the FSO.BinaryWrite method using
> > >an attachment Content disposition.  Is there ANY way to write this XML
> > >file to a client machine without having the SAVE AS... dialog popping
> > >up on the client machine?  I have tried some of the security settings,
> > >but none seem to work.  Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

> > You can't do it with scripting. Script does not have access to the
> > client's file system (for very good reason). You can write an ActiveX
> > control to do it, since they can circumvent any security restrictions.
> > Then you'll have to persuade your management to let it run on your
> > client workstations.

> Thanks for all the quick replies.  I solved it with client-side
> scripting, and Intranet security settings.  The thing that was
> tripping me up (and it's a duh) was that I was using
> Server.CreateObject("Scripting.FSO") instead of using the client-side
> CreateObject("Scripting.FSO").  After I realized this, and figured out
> which intranet setting to avoid the 429 error, everything works fine.
> Thanks again for the quick (and numerous) replies.

Tue, 07 Sep 2004 20:34:03 GMT

1. overiding static methods in Delphi 1.0

2. Problem FileCopy NT Workstation in AS-400 Folder.

3. Reading and writing to a file on a HD

4. HD direct write

5. How to force a file to be written on HD

6. OT: Read/Write data from/to a non Windows HD

7. HD Direct Write

8. how to write a email client application???????

9. distributing an app written in access 2000 runtime but client still uses access 97

10. Looking for open source project that write a FTP client in VB.NET

11. Looking for open source project that write a FTP client in VB.NET

12. Can I write a Chat Client with VB?