iis security regarding sql server
Author Message
 iis security regarding sql server

OK more troubles -- I'm trying to get a good security scheme worked out
between my IIS/MTS box and SQL server 7.  The current plan thusfar has been
to use NT integrated security as a part of the ado connection string -- this
has not worked well at all.  I was kind of afraid this would happen, so I
wrote a little asp page that created an ADO connection/recordset object and
tried to grab some data off of one of the tables.  I got back this message:
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'

Login failed for user '\'.

/order_entry/TEST_components1.asp, line 14
Like I said, I thought this might happen, but I'm not exactly sure why.
Could someone please tell me how to best cure this problem, and what the
optimal security scheme is.  thanks,

howard

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 iis security regarding sql server
OK, you want to hear a truly novel story?  it's one of a really stupid web
programmer who kept getting component and SQL errors because, as it turns
out, he forgot to update the ProgIDs in MTS after he recompiled his dlls --
novel indeed!

Thanks

howard

Quote:
> OK more troubles -- I'm trying to get a good security scheme worked out
> between my IIS/MTS box and SQL server 7.  The current plan thusfar has
been
> to use NT integrated security as a part of the ado connection string --
this
> has not worked well at all.  I was kind of afraid this would happen, so I
> wrote a little asp page that created an ADO connection/recordset object
and
> tried to grab some data off of one of the tables.  I got back this
message:
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80040e4d'

> Login failed for user '\'.

> /order_entry/TEST_components1.asp, line 14
> Like I said, I thought this might happen, but I'm not exactly sure why.
> Could someone please tell me how to best cure this problem, and what the
> optimal security scheme is.  thanks,

> howard

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 iis security regarding sql server
I have exactly the same p^roblem.
I made exactly the same test... and the problem
is !
In my case, the test works correctly when i test
on my laptop (SQL7 & IIS4 on te same server)
The error '80040e4d' go when i try it on my
NT domain (SQL7 on a server, IIS on an other one,
and also a proxy server)

Do you have found a solution ?

Thanks

Jean

In article

Quote:

-
> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
error '80040e4d'

> Login failed for user '\'.

> /order_entry/TEST_components1.asp, line 14
-
> Like I said, I thought this might happen, but

I'm not exactly sure why.
Quote:
> Could someone please tell me how to best cure

this problem, and what the

Quote:
> optimal security scheme is.  thanks,

> howard

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 09 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 iis security regarding sql server
If you are using NT integrated security then you cannot specify username and
password in connection string. You must include in your connection string
"Integrated Security =SSPI". You specify an identity in your MTS components
which is what they use to access the database. This identity must be a valid
user account in NT and it must be given rights on \program files\common
files\system\ado. Also this identity must be set up in SQL as a user in the
public group.
-
Kind Regards
Mike MCP

Quote:
> I have exactly the same p^roblem.
> I made exactly the same test... and the problem
> is !
> In my case, the test works correctly when i test
> on my laptop (SQL7 & IIS4 on te same server)
> The error '80040e4d' go when i try it on my
> NT domain (SQL7 on a server, IIS on an other one,
> and also a proxy server)

> Do you have found a solution ?

> Thanks

> Jean

> In article

> > OK more troubles -- I'm trying to get a good
> security scheme worked out
> > between my IIS/MTS box and SQL server 7.  The
> current plan thusfar has been
> > to use NT integrated security as a part of the
> ado connection string -- this
> > has not worked well at all.  I was kind of
> afraid this would happen, so I
> > wrote a little asp page that created an ADO
> connection/recordset object and
> > tried to grab some data off of one of the
> tables.  I got back this message:
> -
> > Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server
> error '80040e4d'

> > Login failed for user '\'.

> > /order_entry/TEST_components1.asp, line 14
> -
> > Like I said, I thought this might happen, but
> I'm not exactly sure why.
> > Could someone please tell me how to best cure
> this problem, and what the
> > optimal security scheme is.  thanks,

> > howard

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Thu, 13 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. iis security regarding sql server

2. iis security regarding sql server

3. iis security regarding sql server

4. iis security regarding sql server

5. Security with IIS, ASP, VB server side objects and SQL Server

6. wsh security on an iis server

7. Question regarding Access97 linking to SQL Server 6.5

8. Regarding using stored procedures with SQL Server and crystal

9. Regarding SQL Server Backup

10. Data Encryption with IIS and SQL Server...

11. SQL Server - IIS - ADO - ASP

12. Trying to connect to SQL Server from an ASP with IIS 4.0