Excel Exists
Author Message
 Excel Exists

How can I dtermine if a user has Excel on their PC? The idea here is if
Excel exists, load the XLS page into the web browser. If it doesn't display
the link. I have this code, but it gives me error 429, ActiveX component
can't create object

TIA.
-Paul

 on error resume next
 set ExcelApp = getobject(,"Excel.Application")
 if err.number <> 0 then
     'no excel running
 end if

 set wbook = ExcelApp.workbooks.add

 strExcelApp.visible = true

Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:47:45 GMT
 Excel Exists
1) IE doesn't allow client side use of GetObject.

2) Excel.Application is not marked safe for scripting so IE won't allow CreateObject for it unless the user has lowered security (*not* recommended).

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> How can I dtermine if a user has Excel on their PC? The idea here is if
> Excel exists, load the XLS page into the web browser. If it doesn't display
> the link. I have this code, but it gives me error 429, ActiveX component
> can't create object

> TIA.
> -Paul

>  on error resume next
>  set ExcelApp = getobject(,"Excel.Application")
>  if err.number <> 0 then
>      'no excel running
>  end if

>  set wbook = ExcelApp.workbooks.add

>  strExcelApp.visible = true

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 05:19:10 GMT
 Excel Exists
Can I user server side scripting?

1) IE doesn't allow client side use of GetObject.

2) Excel.Application is not marked safe for scripting so IE won't allow
CreateObject for it unless the user has lowered security (*not*
recommended).

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> How can I dtermine if a user has Excel on their PC? The idea here is if
> Excel exists, load the XLS page into the web browser. If it doesn't
display
> the link. I have this code, but it gives me error 429, ActiveX component
> can't create object

> TIA.
> -Paul

>  on error resume next
>  set ExcelApp = getobject(,"Excel.Application")
>  if err.number <> 0 then
>      'no excel running
>  end if

>  set wbook = ExcelApp.workbooks.add

>  strExcelApp.visible = true

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 05:55:10 GMT
 Excel Exists
Use server-side scripting for checking existance of a client-side
application? Not without an accepted component by the user.
The easiest way is to simply ask a user if they have Excel installed.

Patrick

Quote:
> Can I user server side scripting?

> 1) IE doesn't allow client side use of GetObject.

> 2) Excel.Application is not marked safe for scripting so IE won't allow
> CreateObject for it unless the user has lowered security (*not*
> recommended).

> --
> Michael Harris
> Microsoft.MVP.Scripting
> --

> > How can I dtermine if a user has Excel on their PC? The idea here is if
> > Excel exists, load the XLS page into the web browser. If it doesn't
> display
> > the link. I have this code, but it gives me error 429, ActiveX component
> > can't create object

> > TIA.
> > -Paul

> >  on error resume next
> >  set ExcelApp = getobject(,"Excel.Application")
> >  if err.number <> 0 then
> >      'no excel running
> >  end if

> >  set wbook = ExcelApp.workbooks.add

> >  strExcelApp.visible = true

Sat, 17 Jul 2004 06:02:44 GMT

1. ODBC Drivers --- Where To Get Them?

2. Writing Excel Files W/O Existing Excel Application

3. Problem inserting new records in PDX 5-file

4. formated text fields

5. How to get data from BLOB-field

6. Midi help

7. Creating Databases at Run-time (CreateTable)

8. Opening an existing excel file from HTML

9. reverse engineer an existing excel spreadsheet using WSH

10. Launch Excel & open existing WB

11. Accessing an Existing Excel Object from IE

12. Using VBS to open existing excel document