components and asp
Author Message
 components and asp

Hi all

I have a component, an in-process (dll), that has the possibility to read
files by http. The problem with asp is that it lives in some process that
gives me no right to execute these reading operations. To overcome this
problem I have another component (an out of process one) that is working as
a constructor of my dll components. This technique is working without
problems, but it is not fine for the global performance. COM communications
between processes are much slower than in process ones. Does any one have an
idea to solve this problem? I think that it has to do with the asp rights,
no?

Now I have just one more question: with which threading model asp runs? Is
it free (ie one request one thread)?

Sincerely

manuel

Fri, 10 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 components and asp
ASP (IIS) runs under the user context of IWAM_YourMachineName which is a
local user in your IIS server and has the right to Log On Locally and Access
this Computer From Network. It runs under the free thread model.

If your dll is doing the file reading then it's the dll's identity that has
permission problems. If you're not using MTS, then you're dll context is
IWAM_YourMachineName if you use MTS, you can assign the dll it's own user
context and give this user all the required access rights.

--

Bernardo Cheing

Development Manager
Banco del Pacfico
Guayaquil, Ecuador

Quote:
> Hi all

> I have a component, an in-process (dll), that has the possibility to read
> files by http. The problem with asp is that it lives in some process that
> gives me no right to execute these reading operations. To overcome this
> problem I have another component (an out of process one) that is working
as
> a constructor of my dll components. This technique is working without
> problems, but it is not fine for the global performance. COM
communications
> between processes are much slower than in process ones. Does any one have
an
> idea to solve this problem? I think that it has to do with the asp rights,
> no?

> Now I have just one more question: with which threading model asp runs? Is
> it free (ie one request one thread)?

> Sincerely

> manuel

Sat, 11 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 components and asp
Hi

I think that the dll will have the same rights of my out process component
and that's why it can do readings without problems when working in that
process. It has, in my case, administrator rights. I'll keep this structure
since it gives access to another machines and my hands wrote the code. Since
the communications were minimized this is working quite well. I wasn't award
that asp in its version 5 is really an alternative to cgi (what was not
happening in version 3).

Thanks for your help

manuel

Quote:
> ASP (IIS) runs under the user context of IWAM_YourMachineName which is a
> local user in your IIS server and has the right to Log On Locally and
Access
> this Computer From Network. It runs under the free thread model.

> If your dll is doing the file reading then it's the dll's identity that
has
> permission problems. If you're not using MTS, then you're dll context is
> IWAM_YourMachineName if you use MTS, you can assign the dll it's own user
> context and give this user all the required access rights.

> --

> Bernardo Cheing

> Development Manager
> Banco del Pacfico
> Guayaquil, Ecuador

> > Hi all

> > I have a component, an in-process (dll), that has the possibility to
read
> > files by http. The problem with asp is that it lives in some process
that
> > gives me no right to execute these reading operations. To overcome this
> > problem I have another component (an out of process one) that is working
> as
> > a constructor of my dll components. This technique is working without
> > problems, but it is not fine for the global performance. COM
> communications
> > between processes are much slower than in process ones. Does any one
have
> an
> > idea to solve this problem? I think that it has to do with the asp
rights,
> > no?

> > Now I have just one more question: with which threading model asp runs?
Is
> > it free (ie one request one thread)?

> > Sincerely

> > manuel

Sat, 11 May 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Ping writing ping component voor asp

2. Instancing Java-components from ASP with server-side JScript: ASP115 error

3. Scripting Component and ASP

4. REPOST: COM Component Locking ASP

5. Using COM components on ASP pages

6. Problem with VC component in ASP-VB Script

7. Scripting Components in ASP vs Includes

8. File Access Component in ASP

9. VB6 COM+ Component kills ASP .Net app

10. Office Web Components in ASP.NET

11. debugging vb.net upgraded component in asp.net

12. Creating Components for ASP