How do I move data file from Server to Client
Author Message
 How do I move data file from Server to Client

I would like to capture the contents of a table on an ASP page into an
Excel spreadsheet or transfer the data to the client and then launch Excel
with the file.  From a user standpoint it should work like this, the user
requests a page, that page contains data in a table, on the page is a
button, the user can click the button to save a copy of the data displayed
on the page into a local Excel spreadsheet file.

I was thinking first of instantiating Excel on the server and building the
file using the same data that I used to build the table, but how can I get
the file to the client?  And besides, I don't think Excel will be on the
server.

My next thought was to build a file of comma separated values, and launch
Excel with the data file on the client, but again how do I get the file to
the client?

Any help with these questions or another suggestion as to how to accomplish
the same goal would be greatly appreciated.

Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I move data file from Server to Client

Use winsock, do client/server thing, your problem is solved....
Have lots of sleepless nights doing that...

Hope so Helpfull

Quote:
>I would like to capture the contents of a table on an ASP page into an
>Excel spreadsheet or transfer the data to the client and then launch Excel
>with the file.  From a user standpoint it should work like this, the user
>requests a page, that page contains data in a table, on the page is a
>button, the user can click the button to save a copy of the data displayed
>on the page into a local Excel spreadsheet file.

>I was thinking first of instantiating Excel on the server and building the
>file using the same data that I used to build the table, but how can I get
>the file to the client?  And besides, I don't think Excel will be on the
>server.

>My next thought was to build a file of comma separated values, and launch
>Excel with the data file on the client, but again how do I get the file to
>the client?

>Any help with these questions or another suggestion as to how to accomplish
>the same goal would be greatly appreciated.

Fri, 27 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I move data file from Server to Client

Building the file is best done using Excel Automation Objects (see "ASP page
to Excell" from Aeron)

Send the dynamic file to the client side where the user open it as a Active
Document inside IE. This manipulation could be done if you on the server
side (after .xls creation) loads the file into the a cgi-win execution and
sends it binary to the CGI output. This could also be done via ASP but you
have to change the HTTP Content-Type and Filename from a ISAPI filter.

Jonas

Quote:
>I would like to capture the contents of a table on an ASP page into an
>Excel spreadsheet or transfer the data to the client and then launch Excel
>with the file.  From a user standpoint it should work like this, the user
>requests a page, that page contains data in a table, on the page is a
>button, the user can click the button to save a copy of the data displayed
>on the page into a local Excel spreadsheet file.

>I was thinking first of instantiating Excel on the server and building the
>file using the same data that I used to build the table, but how can I get
>the file to the client?  And besides, I don't think Excel will be on the
>server.

>My next thought was to build a file of comma separated values, and launch
>Excel with the data file on the client, but again how do I get the file to
>the client?

>Any help with these questions or another suggestion as to how to accomplish
>the same goal would be greatly appreciated.

Sat, 28 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I move data file from Server to Client

I'd say you were on the right track with the CSV - why not just build the
CSV on the server - send your page back to client with button to access the
.csv on the server machine.  If perosn is using IE then the CSV is launched
with Excel as long as the user/client has Excel.

Simple - surely????????

If you know the clients - tell em to get IE4 to better use your site.

Quote:
>I would like to capture the contents of a table on an ASP page into an
>Excel spreadsheet or transfer the data to the client and then launch Excel
>with the file.  From a user standpoint it should work like this, the user
>requests a page, that page contains data in a table, on the page is a
>button, the user can click the button to save a copy of the data displayed
>on the page into a local Excel spreadsheet file.

>I was thinking first of instantiating Excel on the server and building the
>file using the same data that I used to build the table, but how can I get
>the file to the client?  And besides, I don't think Excel will be on the
>server.

>My next thought was to build a file of comma separated values, and launch
>Excel with the data file on the client, but again how do I get the file to
>the client?

>Any help with these questions or another suggestion as to how to accomplish
>the same goal would be greatly appreciated.

Wed, 01 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How do I move data file from Server to Client

2. moving data between client/server side variables

3. Where is work done on client or server?

4. Saving Binary files on the Client to the Image data type in SQL Server

5. Moving Client Server Tech to .NET Tech.

6. Moving A Client Server App To The Web

7. Doing DCC (direct client to client) tranfers with a VB program

8. client object to get server data

9. How to Get quickly data from Server from inside client Javascript code without page refresh

10. return data client to server HOW ???

11. Accessing Data generated with client-side script from server-side script

12. Sharing data between client and server scripts