FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not
Author Message
 FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not

Hi there,

I have a little HTML page with a VBScript and try to find out, if the
FileSystem  Object is
working. On some machines, NT, 95, 98, ME the script is working fine, on
others, I get a message like

ActiveX component can not create an object: Scripting.FileSystemObject.

What am I doing wrong / how should I access the object?

Have a nice day
Bernd

<head>
<script language = vbscript>
Sub Btn_btn1_onclick()
 call testIt
End Sub

Sub testIt()
    Dim Temp

    Dim fso, d, s
    MsgBox "Hallo Welt " & VbCrLf & "Der erste Test! " & VbCrLf & "Jetzt
wird es gleich interessant!"

    drvPath = "c:\"
    Set d = fso.GetDrive(fso.GetDriveName(drvPath))
    s = "Drive " & UCase(drvPath) & " - "
    s = s & d.VolumeName  & vbCrLf
    s = s & "Free Space: " & FormatNumber(d.FreeSpace/1024, 0)
    s = s & " Kbytes"
    MsgBox s

End Sub
</script>
<title> Test  </title>
</head>
<input type=button name = Btn_btn1 value="Dann versuchen wir es mal!">

Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:49:52 GMT
 FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not
The FileSystemObject is in the Microsoft Scripting Runtime (scrrun.dll,
usually in the Windows system directory).  My guess is that the failing
machines either (a) do not have this file, or (b) have an older version than
machines that succeed.  I don't remember what version of the DLL first had
that object.  The scripting runtime is usually installed with IE.

Quote:
> Hi there,

> I have a little HTML page with a VBScript and try to find out, if the
> FileSystem  Object is
> working. On some machines, NT, 95, 98, ME the script is working fine, on
> others, I get a message like

> ActiveX component can not create an object: Scripting.FileSystemObject.

> What am I doing wrong / how should I access the object?

> Have a nice day
> Bernd

> <head>
> <script language = vbscript>
> Sub Btn_btn1_onclick()
>  call testIt
> End Sub

> Sub testIt()
>     Dim Temp

>     Dim fso, d, s
>     MsgBox "Hallo Welt " & VbCrLf & "Der erste Test! " & VbCrLf & "Jetzt
> wird es gleich interessant!"

>     drvPath = "c:\"
>     Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>     Set d = fso.GetDrive(fso.GetDriveName(drvPath))
>     s = "Drive " & UCase(drvPath) & " - "
>     s = s & d.VolumeName  & vbCrLf
>     s = s & "Free Space: " & FormatNumber(d.FreeSpace/1024, 0)
>     s = s & " Kbytes"
>     MsgBox s

> End Sub
> </script>
> <title> Test  </title>
> </head>
> <input type=button name = Btn_btn1 value="Dann versuchen wir es mal!">

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 02:29:18 GMT
 FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not
Q195826 - PRB: CreateObject Fails from Client-Side Scripts
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/8/26.ASP

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Hi there,

> I have a little HTML page with a VBScript and try to find out, if the
> FileSystem  Object is
> working. On some machines, NT, 95, 98, ME the script is working fine, on
> others, I get a message like

> ActiveX component can not create an object: Scripting.FileSystemObject.

> What am I doing wrong / how should I access the object?

> Have a nice day
> Bernd

> <head>
> <script language = vbscript>
> Sub Btn_btn1_onclick()
>  call testIt
> End Sub

> Sub testIt()
>     Dim Temp

>     Dim fso, d, s
>     MsgBox "Hallo Welt " & VbCrLf & "Der erste Test! " & VbCrLf & "Jetzt
> wird es gleich interessant!"

>     drvPath = "c:\"
>     Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>     Set d = fso.GetDrive(fso.GetDriveName(drvPath))
>     s = "Drive " & UCase(drvPath) & " - "
>     s = s & d.VolumeName  & vbCrLf
>     s = s & "Free Space: " & FormatNumber(d.FreeSpace/1024, 0)
>     s = s & " Kbytes"
>     MsgBox s

> End Sub
> </script>
> <title> Test  </title>
> </head>
> <input type=button name = Btn_btn1 value="Dann versuchen wir es mal!">

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:09:47 GMT
 FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not
I have the same error message. My version of scrrun.dll is 5.1.05010
Starting with which version will the filesystem work?
Quote:
Q195826 - PRB: CreateObject Fails from Client-Side Scripts
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/8/26.ASP

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Hi there,

> I have a little HTML page with a VBScript and try to find out, if the
> FileSystem  Object is
> working. On some machines, NT, 95, 98, ME the script is working fine, on
> others, I get a message like

> ActiveX component can not create an object: Scripting.FileSystemObject.

> What am I doing wrong / how should I access the object?

> Have a nice day
> Bernd

> <head>
> <script language = vbscript>
> Sub Btn_btn1_onclick()
>  call testIt
> End Sub

> Sub testIt()
>     Dim Temp

>     Dim fso, d, s
>     MsgBox "Hallo Welt " & VbCrLf & "Der erste Test! " & VbCrLf & "Jetzt
> wird es gleich interessant!"

>     drvPath = "c:\"
>     Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>     Set d = fso.GetDrive(fso.GetDriveName(drvPath))
>     s = "Drive " & UCase(drvPath) & " - "
>     s = s & d.VolumeName  & vbCrLf
>     s = s & "Free Space: " & FormatNumber(d.FreeSpace/1024, 0)
>     s = s & " Kbytes"
>     MsgBox s

> End Sub
> </script>
> <title> Test  </title>
> </head>
> <input type=button name = Btn_btn1 value="Dann versuchen wir es mal!">

.

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:48:30 GMT
 FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not
The problem has absolutely nothing to do with the version of scrrun.dll.

It has everything to do with client side IE security settings...

Description of Internet Explorer Security Zones Registry Entries
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q182/5/69.asp

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

I have the same error message. My version of scrrun.dll is 5.1.05010
Starting with which version will the filesystem work?

Quote:
Q195826 - PRB: CreateObject Fails from Client-Side Scripts
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q195/8/26.ASP

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> Hi there,

> I have a little HTML page with a VBScript and try to find out, if the
> FileSystem  Object is
> working. On some machines, NT, 95, 98, ME the script is working fine, on
> others, I get a message like

> ActiveX component can not create an object: Scripting.FileSystemObject.

> What am I doing wrong / how should I access the object?

> Have a nice day
> Bernd

> <head>
> <script language = vbscript>
> Sub Btn_btn1_onclick()
>  call testIt
> End Sub

> Sub testIt()
>     Dim Temp

>     Dim fso, d, s
>     MsgBox "Hallo Welt " & VbCrLf & "Der erste Test! " & VbCrLf & "Jetzt
> wird es gleich interessant!"

>     drvPath = "c:\"
>     Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
>     Set d = fso.GetDrive(fso.GetDriveName(drvPath))
>     s = "Drive " & UCase(drvPath) & " - "
>     s = s & d.VolumeName  & vbCrLf
>     s = s & "Free Space: " & FormatNumber(d.FreeSpace/1024, 0)
>     s = s & " Kbytes"
>     MsgBox s

> End Sub
> </script>
> <title> Test  </title>
> </head>
> <input type=button name = Btn_btn1 value="Dann versuchen wir es mal!">

.

Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:36:24 GMT
 FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not
Thanks folks!

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 06:19:19 GMT

1. FileSystemObject: works on some machines, others not

2. Turbo.hlp decompiler

3. Procedure working on some machines and not others

4. DBGrid Delete Key function not working on some DBGrids while it works on others

5. Error 3071...Why on one machine and not on others

6. Excel file opened in IE3 - on one machine starts Excel, others does not

7. Turbo Pascal Frequently Asked Questions, a monthly pointer

8. !!Works on Some, not on Others!!

9. Works on my PC, but not others????

10. Everything works in DEVELOPMENT PC and not others

11. Data Control Refresh works sometimes, others Not?!

12. Everything works in DEVELOPMENT PC and not others