Download! Yes, but the client need not know! Are you crazy?
Author Message
 Download! Yes, but the client need not know! Are you crazy?

Well, I know that you guys must be calling me crazy...
I need to DOWNLOAD something on to a client at a predefined location on the
client m/c from a web server and the client should not be aware. Its a
intranet app.
Can somebody help!!!

TIA
Regards
Sachin

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Download! Yes, but the client need not know! Are you crazy?

Quote:
>Well, I know that you guys must be calling me crazy...
>I need to DOWNLOAD something on to a client at a predefined location on the
>client m/c from a web server and the client should not be aware. Its a
>intranet app.

If you are really serious about this, develop an ActiveX control that will
do this for you.  You can't do it with normal HTML or client-side script,
and you certainly can't interact with the client that way with ASP.

   ______
   ab/mvp

   www.desktop.on.ca
   www.swynk.com/friends/bertrand/

Mon, 23 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Download! Yes, but the client need not know! Are you crazy?
Just a thought that may be totally unsuitable to your setup, but if your
users are using logon script batch files then make sure the logon scripts
are stored in a location you can access with the FileSystemObject from ASP.
(IE a drive local to the web server.)

You can then use the FileSystemObject text file methods to re-write the
users logon batch files to copy the relevant files to their local system.
This will obviously only take affect when they reboot, and I do not know
whether this is something suitable for your app. You could put up a message
telling them to reboot after visiting the relevant page in your app, but
then it would not be totally silent. (Unless you have one of them there
fancy network control apps that can reboot client systems remotely
overnight.)

The batch file could pipe text to a log file on the server you could then
access with the FSO in ASP in order to check if this has succeeded, and
ensure the users normal logon script is restored after the download script
has successfully executed.

--
Daniel (Remove x from email to reply directly)

>Well, I know that you guys must be calling me crazy...
>I need to DOWNLOAD something on to a client at a predefined location on the
>client m/c from a web server and the client should not be aware. Its a
>intranet app.
>Can somebody help!!!

>TIA
>Regards
>Sachin

Fri, 27 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Does anyone know how to download a file to a client computer

2. WindowProc (Yes, I'm crazy)

3. HELP!!! Cmd.CreateParameter I am getting crazy

4. I AM A BEGINNER AND NEED TO KNOW..........

5. I need the OLD Audio SDK do you know where can download

6. ODBC Q: Client is not know to database server

7. 50 users running Access, am I crazy.

8. ** HELP WITH vb 4.0 I am going crazy**

9. Overflow - Am I going crazy?

10. is this a bug or am i crazy?

11. Am I crazy, or is the Timer control?