Getting notice of logon failure using RDS in dhtml?
Author Message
 Getting notice of logon failure using RDS in dhtml?

I'm creating a dhtml intranet ap that's a front end to a SQLServer 6.5
database. I want to be able to verify a user as one that's pre-defined in
SQLServer. Actually, that part works pretty well.

The problem happens when anything other than a valid username and password
is entered. I'd like some way to let my ap know about it so I can put up a
prompt for the user to try again.

The method I'm currently using is to create a ADC recordset object when the
page loads, but not provide any connection, password, or sql params. When
the user logs in, just after the page loads, I pass the username and
password in the connection string and try a simple query to the recordset
object. If the query returns an onDataSetComplete event, I know I've got a
legit user.

But the onDataSetComplete event never gets sent if the password and/or
username isn't one of the SQLServer permitted users. It just sits there and
does nothing. How can I trap for this? Or is there another way?

I've tried using the ReadyState property, but with RDS there's just not that
much control for discerning what the State property actually is. You get
more control with ADO in something like VB, but I'm doing this all dhtml
with VBScript.

I could just let it fail like it's doing now and train the end users that a
failed logon won't generate any feedback, but I don't think that's very good
interface design. If they provide a valid username and password it works
just fine.

This is all client-side using IE4. Any insight would sure be appreciated.

Sat, 28 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Getting notice of logon failure using RDS in dhtml?
I figured it out. Had to use the onError method for the datacontrol. (Doh!)
The documentation was buried in the ADO docs instead of the RDS. Works fine
now.

Sorry for the waste of bandwidth.

"Pain is just weakness leaving our bodies." -- Jesse "The Mind" Ventura
Doyle

Sun, 29 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Legal Notice During Logon

2. Getting DHTML Element Events using InternetExplorer Object

3. Job Available - Javascript, ADO/RDS, DHTML

4. Job Available: Javascript, ADO/RDS, DHTML

5. Job Available: Javascript, ADO/RDS, DHTML

6. RDS DataSpace with DHTML Problems

7. Job Available: Javascript, ADO/RDS, DHTML

8. logon failure referencing exported COM+ obj

9. Logon failure attempting to create report from dataset

10. Getting Windows to notice changes to the registry.

11. Getting notice, if a Dos-Programm called by Shell has finished under 32 Bit

12. logon failure referencing exported COM+ obj