Uncertainty on DSO.Reset()
Author Message
 Uncertainty on DSO.Reset()

I'm using a DSO (text file of 4 columns, about 650 rows). This allows me to
present a lot of data to the user to select from, but almost nothing needs
to be returned when the FORM is submitted. In client-side script I sense
changes in the user selection on a <SELECT> control, and set a corresponding
appropriate .Filter condition for the DSO, then use .Reset().

The bound controls for this DSO include hidden form controls, because I need
to get at them for manipulation. For example, one bound field is a numerical
weekday value which I expand to a text name.

I'm finding that it's difficult to be sure when the values of such variables
have been changed so that I can use the values in code. I'm getting
inconsistent results in my testing. Sometimes one of the values appears to
"stick".

To capture the values I use (e.g.)

<INPUT ID="weekdaynumber"  TYPE="HIDDEN"  DATASRC="#tdcroads"
DATAFLD="Column2">

After doing whatever I must to the DSO via ....

<<preamble>>.tdcroads.object.filter = "Column1 = " & the_value_I_need
<<preamble>>.tdcroads.reset()

I pick them up via (e.g.)

<<preamble>>.weekdaynumber.value

Should I expect the execution of code after the .Reset() to "wait" for any
necessary DSO repositioning to take place so that all such data is
immediately available as code proceeds to execute (synchronous), or do I
need a technique somewhat equivalent to DoEvents in VB?

Many thanks (and Happy New Year)  - Mike -

Fri, 20 Jun 2003 07:13:47 GMT
 Uncertainty on DSO.Reset()

Take a look at

DHTML Event Model Support for Data Binding
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/databind/events.asp

There may be an appropriate event that you can handle.

Or maybe a simple onchange handler for the bound element might work...

--
Michael Harris
Microsoft.MVP.Scripting

> I'm using a DSO (text file of 4 columns, about 650 rows). This allows me
> present a lot of data to the user to select from, but almost nothing needs
> to be returned when the FORM is submitted. In client-side script I sense
> changes in the user selection on a <SELECT> control, and set a
corresponding
> appropriate .Filter condition for the DSO, then use .Reset().

> The bound controls for this DSO include hidden form controls, because I
need
> to get at them for manipulation. For example, one bound field is a
numerical
> weekday value which I expand to a text name.

> I'm finding that it's difficult to be sure when the values of such
variables
> have been changed so that I can use the values in code. I'm getting
> inconsistent results in my testing. Sometimes one of the values appears to
> "stick".

> To capture the values I use (e.g.)

> <INPUT ID="weekdaynumber"  TYPE="HIDDEN"  DATASRC="#tdcroads"
> DATAFLD="Column2">

> After doing whatever I must to the DSO via ....

> <<preamble>>.tdcroads.object.filter = "Column1 = " & the_value_I_need
> <<preamble>>.tdcroads.reset()

> I pick them up via (e.g.)

> <<preamble>>.weekdaynumber.value

> Should I expect the execution of code after the .Reset() to "wait" for any
> necessary DSO repositioning to take place so that all such data is
> immediately available as code proceeds to execute (synchronous), or do I
> need a technique somewhat equivalent to DoEvents in VB?

> Many thanks (and Happy New Year)  - Mike -

Sat, 21 Jun 2003 05:52:03 GMT
 Uncertainty on DSO.Reset()
Thanks, Michael. An interesting area!  - Mike -

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 21:52:22 GMT

1. locking

2. Expression uncertainty

3. Reset without resetting

4. DSO.Server

5. Do DSO .Net libraries exist ?

6. Using the DSO.Server object

7. DSO in .NET

8. About DSO. Help me

9. invalid from clause - DSO and VB

10. Problem with MSDAIPP.DSO

11. Creating Private Dimension using DSO object

12. Problem with MSDAIPP.DSO