IP Address
Author Message
 IP Address

I can do this in NS, but in IE, how can I obtain the clients IP Address.  I
need to monitor and track all attempted logins to an e-commerce site.
I don't want to use a java applet as it will frighten most of my clients.

CanI do it VBScript?  If so, how can I combine VB script and Javascript so I
can retrieve it via JS if the broswer is NS and in VBScript if the browser
is IE???

This it totally legit amd legal and I cannot go online with my application
without this capability.

Brett Glines
I-Summit.com

Sat, 20 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IP Address
Hi Brett,

Quote:
>I can do this in NS, but in IE, how can I obtain the clients IP Address.  I
>need to monitor and track all attempted logins to an e-commerce site.
>I don't want to use a java applet as it will frighten most of my clients.

If you are using ASP, you can get this information via:

    Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

or something similar if you are using CGI. The only drawback is that if the
user goes through a Proxy (which is likely), then you will most likely get
the IP address of the proxy, not the user.

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr, Melbourne, Australia -- Unemployed lay-about!
JScript FAQ: http://www.netspace.net.au/~torrboy/code/jscriptfaq/

Sun, 21 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IP Address
The other way is to use an ActiveX object, WinSock.
Then just
Winsock.LocalIP gives the address!

Later,
David
des28 [at] elec.canterbury.ac.nzzz (remove excess z's)

Quote:

>Hi Brett,

>>I can do this in NS, but in IE, how can I obtain the clients IP Address.  I
>>need to monitor and track all attempted logins to an e-commerce site.
>>I don't want to use a java applet as it will frighten most of my clients.

>If you are using ASP, you can get this information via:

>    Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")

>or something similar if you are using CGI. The only drawback is that if the
>user goes through a Proxy (which is likely), then you will most likely get
>the IP address of the proxy, not the user.

>Peter

>--
>Peter J. Torr, Melbourne, Australia -- Unemployed lay-about!
>JScript FAQ: http://www.netspace.net.au/~torrboy/code/jscriptfaq/

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 IP Address

Quote:

>The other way is to use an ActiveX object, WinSock.
>Then just
>Winsock.LocalIP gives the address!

Hi David,

You're right - you can use an ActiveX control to do this. But unfortunately,
the original poster didn't want to use anything like that (he mentioned a
Java applet, which is prima facie safer than an ActiveX control) since it
would "scare the users away".

Peter

--
Peter J. Torr, Melbourne, Australia -- Unemployed lay-about!
JScript FAQ: http://www.netspace.net.au/~torrboy/code/jscriptfaq/

Mon, 22 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. changing of IP-address and other IP parameters

2. changing of IP-address and other IP parameters

3. VBscript for IP Address, Mac Address, Username

4. How to get IP my IP address

5. TCP/IP IP address and multiple adapters

6. Network adapter question: how to put ip address and MAC addresses together

7. Mapping IP address to MAC address (VB5.0)

8. IP Address & MAC Address

9. : TCP/IP address via email address

10. MAC Address to IP Address

11. MAC Address to IP Address