Any way to prevent stepping into constructors? 
Author Message
 Any way to prevent stepping into constructors?

I use _bstr_t classes quite a bit, consequently I end up having to step
through it's constructor and desctructor ump{*filter*} times.

Any way to specify classes or class::functions to stay out of?

Jon



Sat, 26 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Any way to prevent stepping into constructors?

Quote:

>I use _bstr_t classes quite a bit, consequently I end up having to step
>through it's constructor and desctructor ump{*filter*} times.

>Any way to specify classes or class::functions to stay out of?

Not that I know of. When I get really tired of this, I use the disassembly
window. What we really need is some sort of "statement decomposition"
feature, that would show which functions might be called by executing the
current statement, which would allow you to easily skip over ones you don't
want to trace into. The default might then be to trace only into the
outer-most function.

--
Doug Harrison



Sun, 27 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Any way to prevent stepping into constructors?
You're supposed to be able to click on a specific function and then from
the Debug menu select 'Step into FunctionName'. This avoids a lot of the
extraneous functions. Unfortunately, in my experience this option is
frequently not enabled, and even when it is it's cumbersome to use, since
there's no accelerator for that command. It's about half of a good idea.

Quote:


> >I use _bstr_t classes quite a bit, consequently I end up having to step
> >through it's constructor and desctructor ump{*filter*} times.

> >Any way to specify classes or class::functions to stay out of?

> Not that I know of. When I get really tired of this, I use the disassembly
> window. What we really need is some sort of "statement decomposition"
> feature, that would show which functions might be called by executing the
> current statement, which would allow you to easily skip over ones you don't
> want to trace into. The default might then be to trace only into the
> outer-most function.

> --
> Doug Harrison


--
.Bruce Dawson, Cavedog Entertainment.
Makers of Total Annihilation - http://www.*-*-*.com/


Mon, 28 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Any way to prevent stepping into constructors?
I've just defined a button for that and put it into the debug toolbar ... so
it comes handy

--
BTW: It is normally better to answer to the group! For direct mail reply
remove ".no_spam"

Quote:

>You're supposed to be able to click on a specific function and then from
>the Debug menu select 'Step into FunctionName'. This avoids a lot of the
>extraneous functions. Unfortunately, in my experience this option is
>frequently not enabled, and even when it is it's cumbersome to use, since
>there's no accelerator for that command. It's about half of a good idea.



Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Any way to prevent stepping into constructors?

Quote:

>You're supposed to be able to click on a specific function and then from
>the Debug menu select 'Step into FunctionName'. This avoids a lot of the
>extraneous functions. Unfortunately, in my experience this option is
>frequently not enabled, and even when it is it's cumbersome to use, since
>there's no accelerator for that command. It's about half of a good idea.

I didn't know about that. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

Concerning the keyboard shortcut, can't you assign one?

--
Doug Harrison



Thu, 31 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Any way to prevent stepping into constructors?

Quote:


>>You're supposed to be able to click on a specific function and then
from
>>the Debug menu select 'Step into FunctionName'. This avoids a lot of
the
>>extraneous functions. Unfortunately, in my experience this option is
>>frequently not enabled, and even when it is it's cumbersome to use,
since
>>there's no accelerator for that command. It's about half of a good
idea.

>I didn't know about that. I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

If you don't find it there, I remember it as being in the context menu
if you rightclick on the line that makes the call.  Usually when I'm in
this deep I'd rather step in and back out, to avoid making accidental
assumptions about order of execution, but I've used 'step into...' once
or twice; it worked for me.

--
Nate Lewis, MCSD



Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 Any way to prevent stepping into constructors?

Quote:

> If you don't find it there, I remember it as being in the context
> menu if you rightclick on the line that makes the call.  Usually
> when I'm in this deep I'd rather step in and back out, to avoid
> making accidental assumptions about order of execution, but I've
> used 'step into...' once or twice; it worked for me.

Some people find it useful to have a keystroke for "Step out and back
in" for this particular situation.  Simply record a macro where you
step out and step in, and assign it a key like "Ctrl-Shift-Alt-F11".

--



Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Preventing Step into (F11) from going into CString constructor

2. HELP - need excercise files CDrom Visual C# .NET step by step

3. Microsoft Press, Visual C# Step by Step Chapter 31 Data Access

4. Book: Visual C++.Net Step by Step

5. ADO.Net Step by Step

6. Learning C step by step

7. Impossible to debug a DLL in step by step

8. Step by Step

9. Different results: step over vs step into

10. Visual C++.Net Step by Step book/Visual C++.Net Software

11. Howto: RPC with VC++ Step-by-Step

12. Looking for step by step guide on making a windows application

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software